Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Popper Technique - For Me Anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Popper Technique - For Me Anyway

I love jalapeno poppers. In fact I love a variety of peppers turned into poppers. What's also nice is the variety of stuffings that one can create, it's almost endless. I was watching YouTube and picked up on this little technique for making them that I hadn't really tried before. Generally I slice the peppers in half, stuff the halves, wrap in bacon and grill. I've also tried cutting off the tops, stuffing the whole cavity, wrapping and cooking that way.

For this technique, you do something kind of in between the two. Start out by taking a sharp, flexible boning knife and make two perpendicular slits on either end of the popper about a third of the way deep. Then work your knife down the length of the pepper to cut the top off and create a boat shaped bottom....

Click image for larger version

Name:	poppers 01.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	681542

Name:	poppers 02.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	681543

...after that take a spoon and carve out the seeds and inner core to create a cavity for your stuffing. In my case I made a simple one using cream cheese mixed with a little Hatch Harissa (a salsa verde) along with some Killer Hogs seasoning....

Name:	poppers 03.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	681544

Name:	poppers 04.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	681545

Again, the stuffing variety is totally up to you. Next step is to put the little lid back on the pepper boat and cover the cheese. The sticky cheese kind of holds the lid in place, which is a good thing. Simply wrap your bacon and shove a toothpick in the loose end....

Name:	poppers 05.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	681546

...then grill indirect in a hot grill until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are soft and done. What I like about this technique over open faced is the cheese pretty much stays in place and you are able to rotate the pepper better during cooking.

Can't get enough of these jalapeno poppers, they don't last more than 30 seconds in my house. If you've never tried them, what are you waiting for ????

Name:	poppers 06.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	681547

Good stuff! That’s how we make them! In the oven if my wife makes them. Flavor combo is tremendous!

Comment

Never met an ABT I didn't like.

Comment

Brilliant. I will have to try this technique. Love me some poppers as well.

Comment

I'm waiting for you to invite me over for some.

Comment

Very Cool Technique!!! Will try this! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! It looks like it will really make moving poppers about squeezing the trees are much easier.

Comment

Thanks! Will be doing this the next time. I usually make them twice a week. Love poppers.

Comment

That sounds great.

Comment

Yep! This is how I make them too. Much easier. I saw our local butcher doing it and I copied him. I also find that it is easier to wrap the bacon when it is cold.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Nice. I usually take the top off and stuff them, but I'll give this a try. Looks a little simpler.

Comment

Smart! Gonna have to try this!

Comment

Cool! Was thinking of trying some poppers this weekend, but wanted to do something more than just cream cheese. I think my local HEB carries that Hatch Harissa.

Comment

• Troutman
                              Troutman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That jar of Harissa is off the charts. Yup, got it at HEB. I love anything involved with Hatch peppers, best there is imho !!!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here