Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elote My Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elote My Way

Corn season is right around the corner and as a boy growing up in the Midwest, nothing was better than freshly picked sweet corn on the cob slathered in butter and salt. For the Mexicans, corn is more traditionally served roasted with various ingredients and is simply known as elote or their version of corn on the cob.

Although I enjoy the classic cob corn recipe equally as well, I've found the best way to have elote is with it off the cob. I've been playing with the classic recipe and began adding fresh roasted chilis to enhance warmth and depth of flavor. After playing around with it, I've come up with my version that hits all the right notes for me. However you like to eat corn, try a version of elote with your next summer barbeque, it will soon become one of your favorite ways of serving it !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	elote 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	982.5 KB ID:	678438

Cuisine: Mexican-American Southwestern
    Makes: 6-8 Servings
    Takes: 1 hour of prep, 15 minutes to assemble

Ingredients

6 ears of sweet corn on the cob
    2 poblano chiles
    1 serrano or jalapeno pepper
    1/2 red onion diced
    1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon of cumin
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 cup of grated queso fresco or cotija cheese
    1/4 cup of Mexican crema fresca

Method

1. Prep - Fire up your gas grill or indoor oven broiler. Arrange the peppers and the corn directly over the highest heat to begin roasting all the vegetables. Turn both the corn and the chilis to achieve an even char. The corn should take about 15-20 minutes of cooking and achieve a light char. Leave the chilis to blacken all over, again turning frequently until fully charred. Place the chilis in a tightly covered bowl or paper bag to steam for about 15 minutes after cooking.

2. Take the corn cobs and hold them vertically in a large bowl and slide your knife down each side to cut the kernels into the bowl. Discard the cobs.

3. Remove the chilis from the bag. Take off the outer charred skin, rinsing over running water helps with this process. Remove and de-seed the inner cores of each chili. Chop into 1/4" pieces and add to the corn in the bowl.

4. Add the diced red onion to the bowl. Add all the seasonings. Add the lime juice. Stir and combine the ingredients.

5. Add the grated cheese and the crema and continue to incorporate. Finally, add the chopped cilantro and give a final stir.

6. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool and let the flavors meld together.

7. Serve as an excellent side salad during your next summer barbecue !!! Enjoy !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	elote 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	954.8 KB ID:	678439

Via Con Dios, Trout is Out !!!!
    Last edited by Troutman; May 14, 2019, 11:20 AM. Reason: Realized that Ancho should be Poblano chilis. Anchos are the dried version of the poblano

Living in Brentwood, home of Brentwood corn, I can't wait to try this. The many fields around here are loaded with corn about 1/2 way grown. Reminds me of the old commerical I think for Target of the woman standing out front saying "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN
    Thanks Troutman

Comment

Thank you! We get sweet corn straight from the field every year. There's usually one shelf in the freezer that is all sweet corn. I can't wait to try this.

Comment

Troutman this looks like another winner! Thank you!

Comment

Looks and sounds wonderful. I’m not familiar with crema fresca so you just expanded my cooking vocabulary. Many thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Grand Troutman !

Comment

Man, this is going to hit the spot. Love me some corn, I drive the wife crazy when I pretty much shuck it in the store to make sure the ears are good. Going to move this up to the top of the to do list.

Comment

That looks very good.I planted my first patch of corn late this year, so it has just sprouted, but I will keep this in mind.

Comment

Looks like another winner, Troutman !! I'm calling it, No Cobb Ellote

Comment

Looking forward to trying this when the sweet corn is back.

Comment

Ganador, ganador, elote para la cena!

Comment

Dude... I love Mexican style corn and I am totally going to try this recipe. That looks amazing! I actually have poblanos and serranos growing in my garden right now.

Comment

Awesome definitely in this years plan!

Comment

Made this up tonight, minus the crema, didn’t have it our sour cream. Turned out Very good!

Comment

• Troutman
                              Troutman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Glad you liked it !!

Made this today for the Memorial Day gathering. Made a few slight changes: substituted the ancho chiles for 5 ounces of Roasted Hatch chile (from 505 Southwestern www.505chile.com). Added an extra jalapeño and substituted crema for cream fraiche. Everyone loved it! Well done Troutman !!

Comment

• Troutman
                              Troutman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks, nice substitution with the hatch chiles. My favorite !!!

• ofelles
                              ofelles commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Try these. Available year round. I'm set up for a delivery every 2 months. love them
                              Hatch Green Chile, flame roasted, hand peeled, frozen, and ready to go! We do the work for you, then flash freeze your chile to ensure it stays tasty for up to 18 months. Get Free Shipping on all orders for flame-roasted Hatch Chile shipped to the lower 48.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here