Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed Artichoke Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed Artichoke Recipe

A number of folks have asked for the recipe for the stuffed artichokes I've posted a few times. Happy to oblige.

I learned this recipe from my mother and have been making it faithfully for 40+ years. Absolutely our favorite way to eat artichokes (although grilled artichokes are a close second). Our preference are spring artichokes when they are most tender, but will happily make it whenever we can get fresh artichokes. My mother was from Rome and the secret ingredient for the recipe is "roman mint," also known as mentuccia, mentuccia romana, or Calamintha nepeta. My mother "accidentally" brought a cutting home with her from Rome back in the 60's, and we've kept it propagated since then. It is truly a fantastic flavor to have with artichokes. But you may find it difficult if not impossible to find unless you grow it yourself. But don't despair - you can substitute fresh oregano, mint, or other fresh herbs for it.

Stuffed Artichokes

4 large artichokes
    1 lemon
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 Tbl chopped fresh roman mint (substitute fresh oregano, mint or other fragrant herbs)
    extra virgin olive oil

Fill a large bowl with water that can fit all of the artichokes submerged. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the water.

Peel off a few of the small, tougher leaves from the bottom of the artichokes. Slice off the stem (if there is one) flush with the bottom of the artichoke so that it will sit flat. Slice off the top half-inch or so of the artichoke leaves. Then use kitchen shears to snip off the tips of all of the outside leaves that can hold sharp spines.

Spread the leaves of the artichokes as best you can, then drop into the acidulated water. Rinse off any dirt and let soak in the water for a while.

While the artichokes are soaking, mix the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and chopped herbs in a bowl

Drain the artichokes, then spread the leaves out slightly. If they're reluctant to spread, place an artichoke top side down on a cutting board or counter and press down on the base with your palm to help spread the leaves. Place an artichoke in a bowl and then work 1/4 cup of the breadcrumb mixture between the leaves. The bowl helps to catch the breadcrumbs that don't make it between the leaves on the first try. Repeat with each of the artichokes.

Take a large pan wide enough to hold all of the artichokes without crowding, and deep enough that you can cover the pan. Spray the bottom of the pan with olive oil or other vegetable spray. Set the artichokes in the pan, then add water to about 1/2 inch deep. Finally, drizzle the tops of the artichokes with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.

Place the pan over medium heat and cover. Bring the water in the pan to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer the artichokes for about 45 minutes. Test for doneness by pulling off a bottom leaf. It should pull off with only a gentle tug, and the flesh should be tender. If it isn't done, continue to simmer covered, and check for doneness every 5-10 minutes. Avoid overcooking as the leaves can dry out and get tough. They should be finished in one hour or less, but could go longer if they are very large.

Here is a photo of the finished product, served with some grilled opah. The stuffing should be nice and moist, so you don't need any kind of dip for the leaves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190422_190957.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	669781

Thanks for posting this theroc, we love chokes and will definitely give this one a try !!!!

Comment

Sounds amazing. Definitely going to give this a try. Thanks, theroc !

Kathryn

Comment

What great timing. I was looking for recipes online yesterday before you posted this. Looks great!

Comment

Please do let me know if you try it out and have any comments or questions. I'd be particularly interested in hearing how the recipe is with other fresh herbs.

Comment

Thanx. My wife loves them.

Comment

Looks amazing. Its very similar to the artichokes my Mom used to make.

Comment

We have artichokes all of the time. Rarely stuffed. Thanks for putting these back on the radar. Will do soon.

Comment

We have artichokes pretty frequently (when we can find good ones). Never stuff them, though. Instead, I make up a dipping aioli composed of mayo, garlic-infused olive oil, good balsamic vinegar, and a bit of fresh ground black pepper. Perhaps we should give your stuffed version a try ...

Comment

• Willard
                    Willard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yours sounds very good as well.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here