Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It’s almost that time! (Morels)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s almost that time! (Morels)

Click image for larger version  Name:	99DECFE2-C0DF-46F5-824F-C74F34A06470.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	645628Click image for larger version  Name:	D0C5D4AA-5463-4C35-A2E8-894B78DAC44E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	645629

I wish I knew enough about fungi to forage my own mushrooms! That looks fantastic!

Comment

My girlfriend found these morels in our side yard!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Morels.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	645637
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Morel.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	645638

Comment

Nice shrooms. Almost poison ivy time too.

Comment

Holy smokes! That's a big morel.

Comment

I've never had a chance to eat morels. Maybe this year. Are they that much better than ordinary shrooms?

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, they have a better flavor for sure.

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Imho, most varieties of woods mushrooms generally have a lot more flavor than what you get in a grocery store.

These were from last spring! With all the rain we have had in the last 6 months, I am hopeful of a bumper crop this year. I like to dry as many as I can and use them all year long.

Comment

Oh Yeah!!...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey!! Look at that avatar!!

Oh Yeah!!!! I can't wait. Although we have to wait until April-May up here, but I can't wait for the hunt!

Comment

I have found them as early as the 2nd week of March. Some years it’s been as late as the middle of April here in the central piedmont of NC

Comment

Yeah, as Spin said, a bit of a wait. Click image for larger version

Name:	45EA9DC3-095E-4714-AC79-578E3ED13C6C.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	645750

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah we are in deep around these parts!

• RustyHaines
                    RustyHaines commented
                    Editing a comment
                    5.5 degrees here this morning so pickin' time is a ways off. Hey FireMan, maybe we will have open water in April ?

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe in a creek. Unless your talking end of April. 🕶

We will be lucky if we can see the ground on April 1st here.. about 3 feet of snow and single digits temps for highs.. I can't hunt mushrooms till maple syrup season is over anyhow.. come on spring!!!

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, every time we were getting 2” to 5”, you were getting 7 to 12.

• Backroadmeats
                    Backroadmeats commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup this is ridulous!! -17 for a temp this morning.. I can not wait for spring!!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am with you!!!!!!

-17! You can keep it thats why I stayed south after Uncle Sam sent me to Ft. Bragg.

Comment

I've never eaten fresh morels. On a couple of occasions I've purchased dried morels and followed the directions for reconstituting them - gently simmer in a small sauce pot for a few minutes. They had good flavor but I was put off a bit by their texture. I will tell you the liquid from the sauce pot was intense. Think: homemade beef stock on steroids. Wow!

Comment

I prefer to go hunting for and finding these kind, anyone care to guess? I'll give you a clue, if you break the stem the stalk turns purple....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here