Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now we wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we wait

Got a late start this year fermenting kraut.
    I just put up a 5# batch.
    5# sliced cabbage, 3 tablespoons Mortons Kosher Salt, set on the counter for 2 hours to let it release the juices.
    Into the Crazy Korean Kim Chee put for 2 to 3 weeks, set in the corner of the kitchen, and GOOD fermented kraut is ready to eat.
    I don't can--I just put it into a Ball jar and into the fridge.
    Crazy Korean Kim Chee pot is one of the best investments I've ever made. Cheap, and foolproof.
    https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Korean-...18453635&psc=1

Amazing. Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to make kraut, had no idea such a device existed. What size do you use for 5 pounds? What's it yield? Do you have to keep it in a temperature controlled environment.?

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      5 pounds of cabbage will fit into 3 quart jars. I just keep it in the fridge without canning it. If you have dogs it is super food for them because of their short digestive tracks. They LOVE it. 65 to 75 degrees--a corner of the closet works. It releases no smell while it is fermenting.

Never seen one of these contraptions. You ever made pickles in it?

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Pickles--pickled onions, pickled carrot shreds. Works really well and cheaper and easier to use than crocks.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Going on the got to have list

Interesting device. I have a 7.5L (12 lb) Gärtopf crock that was given to me by a Swiss grad student back in the 1990's along with his family recipe. Just bottled 7 one quart mason jars of kraut last weekend, made a great Kimchi last fall.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      What I like about it is there is absolutely no air gap to deal with. The inner lid allows you to completely submerge the veggies. It has been fool proof for me. I sent a LOT of money on Harsch Crocks and they were hit and miss. I have never had a hint of mold using the Crazy Korean.

That is interesting...I've never seen one - great idea! I've been making my kraut in Fido jars which works well. Two pounds of processed cabbage fit in the pictured jar. I started this batch a week ago. It will be fully fermented after 21 days total. I place it in a bowl covered with a dark towel and place on a high shelf in the laundry room near a heater vent. We keep our house about 68 degrees day and 62 night...

https://ueos.thinkific.com/pages/can...cover-find-out

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124301.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	634211Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124308.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	634212Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124317.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	634213Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124344.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	634214

Comment

People who don't ferment their own kraut have no idea what they are missing out on. Completely different from processed kraut you buy. Fermented onion strings are delicious on burger of hot dogs.

Comment

Forgot to add. When you make kraut do not throw away the core of the cabbage. Trim it on the end, chop it into 2 or 3 pieces and let it ferment with the kraut. It is kind of like a kraut pickle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here