Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Smoked Green Veggie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Smoked Green Veggie?

Title says it all. What's your favorite smoked green vegetable? Method and recipe would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Cabbage

Comment

I don't believe it's legal in Texas.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahahahaha!!!! The Devil's Lettuce. Man, I have missed your wit!
        Last edited by CaptainMike; January 23, 2019, 09:10 AM.

For the most part I don't like smoked green veggies. The exception is brussels. As for method.....

Cut the ends off and then cut an "X" into the bottom. I then throw them into a microwave safe bowl with a little bit of water and nuke them for 2 minutes. This softens them enough so that when they come out of the grill they aren't crunchy. I like to toss them in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and drizzle just a little bit of basalmic vinegar on them. Then I throw them in a vegetable basket (a metal bowl with holes that are a bit larger than those of a colander) and cook them indirect. Sometimes I'll omit the salt and throw in some uncooked bacon bits and let the bacon work its magic.

Comment

Cabbage smokes nicely. There's a recipe on Raichlen's website:

The sight of a whole barbecued cabbage never fails to grab attention and it tastes as great as it looks. Try Steven Raichlen's recipe.
        Last edited by Murdy; January 23, 2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          That recipe looks great. I just printed it.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Whaaaat? I am definitely doing that cabbage thing.

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep - I saved the recipe too!

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.

Comment

Haven't ever tried smoking anything except Brussels sprouts, but I do like some grilled asparagus.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman for me, asparagus even powers through Allopurinol. I don't know why but asparagus is a HUGE trigger for me, even with the preventative medicine.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            That's interesting because veggies high in purines are supposedly off limits (asparagus being one). Recently, however, I've read in a study from the Mayo Clinic on gout that, and I quote;

"High-purine vegetables. Studies have shown that vegetables high in purines, such as asparagus and spinach, don't increase the risk of gout or recurring gout attacks."

You might want to look into your diet, your weight, your alcohol consumption and other positive triggers that are causing your attacks

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Not trying to play doctor but I suffered from gout for years until I got better educated on the causal effects. I occasionally have a small attack but with basic understanding and meds I've remained relatively gout free. Your situation, obviously is different.

Mix of Various Peppers, Onions, Summer Squash, and Mushrooms (or whatever else in the frig) tossed in Olive Oil or Italian Dressing and S&P of course. Put on the pellet grill at 350 for about an hour.

Comment

Pablanos, Bell peppers, Brussels sprouts ( I wish I could type that in Red, but this is a green thing) Asparagus wrapped in bacon or not (I have gout also, so in moderation). Then there is zucchini, green beans, let er’ rip, yes you can give a rip here. To quote a famous American Frog, "it’s wonderful to be green".

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree about zucchini and peppers.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on the zucchini. Do it all the the time.

Yea all of the above; cabbage, Brussels, zucchini, various Mexican squashes, peppers of all kinds. And even though it's not "green" per se, but a head of cauliflower smoked is awesome !! Try it sometime if you haven't.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you smoke the head whole or in slices?

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Last time I did it I just threw it whole on the smoker with the meat I was cooking, then sliced it when it was done. It was a colored one, it either yellow or green don't recall, but it came out kind of dark brown. Tasted good. If sliced it might me better, more smokey for sure.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah ditto on the cauliflower. Maybe the white threw me off.

Asparagus!

Comment

Cast Iron sprouts on the grill is one of my favorite things!

I cut the sprouts in half and add them to a hot pan, with Avocado oil. The sprouts should sizzle when you add them to the pan.

I place the halved sprouts, face down. Then I close the lid and bake in the heat-soaked Egg at about 425-450. After about 10 mins, I add pine nuts and bacon bits to the skillet. I give it another 3-4 mins and then pull it.

The result is a seared sprout that is incredible. The pine nuts and bacon add some fat that really tops it off! (Keto Friendly too!)

I had it for dinner tonight. Along with a salmon fillet. Great stuff.

Comment

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                That reminds me of a recipe we used to do with sprouts in the oven broiler, very similar, charred them pretty good, add bacon and onions, maybe some other stuff. Delicious.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah! I use the oven when I am being really lazy. Murdy

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Those cast iron sprouts must be really hard on your teeth!! And how do you cut them in half?? :-P

Thanks everyone. SWMBO wants cabbage.

Comment

Tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, chili’s. Now I want some smoked salsa.

Brussel sprouts sound amazing. Never thought of that.

Comment

I've done cabbage and brussel sprouts, but will be adding the recipe mentioned above, sounds really good. But one of our favorites is stuffed bell peppers.....

Recipe: cut peppers in half, clean them out. Shred cabbage or buy a bag of angel hair (plain, no added carrots). Stuff the half peppers with cabbage and put a pat of butter on top with a good sprinkle of seasoned salt and cracked black pepper. place them on a cookie sheet with foil to keep them from falling over. I find it easy to make foil snakes and wrap around bottom of the peppers. Run your cooker up to about 325-350. Let them cook for about 25-30 mins. Or until you get the peppers soft to your liking. I don't mind them being a bit tough, I don't like mushy, but to each their own.

NOTE: I used pecan wood on this one or peach wood when it is available.

They are tasty and eaten by child and adult alike.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                    IowaGirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ooooh -- nice idea! Duly squirreled away for future enjoyment. Thanks for the recipe, au4stree

• au4stree
                    au4stree commented
                    Editing a comment
                    IowaGirl, hope you enjoy!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here