Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling All Pepper Lovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Pepper Lovers

I am starting my Seeds a few weeks earlier than last year, we had a great year for the most part but some of the variety’s only produced once. I have Not been able to successfully grow Carolina Reapers Yet. I had a lot of trouble with the plants I purchased and The Reapers were real late. I tried to overwinter it but I was not successful. Does anyone have Reaper Seeds they want to Trade or Sell? I have a lot of Seeds and would be willing to share with anyone interested. I have Ghost ( these are 2nd season Seeds and were very successful, I only kept Seeds from Prime Fruit, Shape, size,flavor) Mini red bell, Mini Orange Bell, Cherry Bomb Hybrid, Purple Jalapeño, Cascabella. I also have a lot of store bought Seeds dated 12-18, I am germinating some now I will let you know. I have more seeds than I will ever use. Some vegetable varieties too.

Pirate Scott, I can't help with the trade, but maybe you can help me out. Can you send me to a good resource for growing peppers? I'd like to start growing some, but I have no idea where to start. There is so much info out here now that I end up in do loops doing nothing.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookee down yonder; here's what I got on deck fer this year, plus some others TBD...
      Yer gonna LOVE fresh peppers, Amigo!
      Hail, if I can do it, a smart man like yerself oughta be jus fine!

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers check out Khang Starr on you tube. He has a lot of awesome techniques and it will link you to a bunch of other resources. I use his double cup method to start mine, then I plant in buckets or cloth pots. Keep in mind it can be as simple or as complex as you want it. I tend to go to extremes.

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers here is a link https://youtu.be/HQXJcQ2oV_o

Hit up my dad KenC52 he has grown everything from reapers down to bells. I am never out of any pepper I want in some form or another. Fresh, pickled/canned, dried, frozen. You name it. Always has a bumper crop too!

Comment

I had good success with a reaper plant from chiliplants.com. I bought the plant, not the seeds and didn't keep any of the seed after smoking them.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s where I bought my Reapers, but my season is too short. I need to start now for the Super Hots.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Got mine from there as well. I pick mine up cause they’re only 1-1/2hrs away.
        Reapers are always very late bloomers Scott. I know you’re a bit north of me so yeah your season is shorter. Not sure if planting sooner will get them to bloom sooner. Definitely interested in seeing how that works out. Haven’t saved any seeds though. The wife won’t let me start a grow house. 😡

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not talking specifically about reapers, but my wife (the green thumb around here) has started peppers indoors early many times, and it pretty much gets the job done.

It's really easy to start plants:
      1 - buy some 6 to 8 oz cups (you can use bigger or smaller - it's really not critical
      2 - get some seeds
      3 - fill the cups with a good quality potting soil
      4 - wet the soil - not soaking wet
      5 - plant your seeds (peppers about 1/4" deep) I plant 3 or 4 seeds per cup to make sure every cup winds up with at least one plant
      6 - cover the cups with plastic wrap to keep the moisture in - remove from each cup as soon as a seed sprouts. If you don't want to use the wrap, just make sure the top 1/2" or so stays moist
      7 - either place in a south facing window or use florescent tubes kept about an inch above the growing plants
      8 - plant out when all danger of frost is gone

NOTES:
      1- if you use smaller cups, move to bigger cups as they grow
      2 - if you can, keep them around 60* F they will produce sturdier plants that way
      3 - use a fan to blow on the plants if possible - that will also help produce sturdier plants
      4 - setting the plants outside when the temp gets above 60* is nice if you can do it
      5 - get a wheelbarrow to move all the stuff you grow

Comment

I second lemayp . Chileplants.com is an excellent source, despite being located in New Jersey (New Jersey! Git a rope!). They sell many varieties as seed and as plants. Also check out the New Mexico Chile Pepper Institute. They don't have nearly the selection, but they (as New Mexico State University in Las Cruces) are probably the Grandpappy of chile growing in the US of A.

500 varieties of Pepper Plants, Pepper Seeds and Fresh Peppers. 200 types of Tomato Plants and Tomato Seeds. Available mail-order or pickup in New Jersey.

Finally, DAMMIT, it's chilE, not chilI. ;«)

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          New Jersey is called the "Garden State" for a good reason!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Used to be almost all truck farms at one time!

Shoot-dang, I dunno, Brother...

Ain't no real big hot pepper kinda guy, but...
        This here's all I got on deck, so far, with some others TBD...
        See anything ya might wanna swap fer?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192055 (2) - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	886.3 KB ID:	622449Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192119 (2) - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	866.8 KB ID:	622450Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192132 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	801.8 KB ID:	622451Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192144 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	811.1 KB ID:	622452 Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192151 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	756.3 KB ID:	622454

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          You weren’t kidding brother when we were talking about your peppers. 👍👍

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          So, do the people from the DoomsDay Vault come to you for seeds, Mr. Bones?

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          JimLinebarger Cain't legally fess to nuthin, one way, or th other...
          But, I do have keys to that Facility.

One more thought: IF you want to save seeds from your peppers, be sure that no other peppers (including bells) were grown nearby. Peppers easily cross pollinate with any peppers nearby. The cross pollination (of fruits) does not show up in the "present" generation, as it's only the seeds that are affected (fruits are a product of the "mother"). Hence, corn is fouled up by cross pollination in the current crop, but not fruiting plants.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          I did okay saving my Ghost Pepper Seeds, I grew 25 plants from saved seeds and only 4 were crossed, they looked like a Habenaro, but were yellow. This year I only saved seeds from the fruits I liked. I guess we will know soon enough, eh?

Also, got some of these here, growed last year:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192205 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	622456Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_192216 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	947.6 KB ID:	622457
        LH are "ETD Peppers", as featured in many of my posted receipts. Think they're a Thai Pepper, best I can reckon...Hot lil ba$tards!
        RH are New Mexico Chiles, left to ripen red, before harvestin....

Comment

This site has a number of video how-to's for hot peppers.

Pepper Joe's has the world's hottest pepper seeds: Carolina Reaper, Ghost, Habanero. Plus rare seed varieties, live plants, fresh peppers, and spicy snacks.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            johnec00 I agree great content from Pepper Joes Too

Great, just what I need...another hobby.

I've actually always wanted to garden something....but here in Texas that summer heat. From the little I've read, it does look like of all things peppers grow well down here.

What I need to figure out how to accomplish is how to protect the peppers, when they're indoors, from the cats. We have several who will chew on anything. My home office (the one room with a window the cats aren't allowed in) window faces north, so doesn't really get much sun. All of the other windows....well, those windowsills typically have at least one cat in them.

--Michael

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool, thank you!

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Deleted and moved to a non-comment post below.
            Last edited by Willy; January 13, 2019, 07:42 PM.

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Deleted and moved to a non-comment post below.
            Last edited by Willy; January 13, 2019, 07:42 PM.

Thanks for all the info. I’ll post my progress.

Comment

The following has been removed from a comment and reposted:

Generally speaking, a south facing house window is inadequate for peppers (and many other plants). Consider a standard shop fluorescent fixture (hung from the ceiling and adjustable in height) and hang it as close to the top of plants as possible. A pricier, but better, option is the new T5 fluorescent bulb--both bulbs and fixtures cost more.

A few links for illustrative purposes:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hou...-gardening.htm

http://www.gatewaygardener.com/tips-...tables-indoors

https://learningandyearning.com/can-...to-start-seeds

To be clear, this method is for plants that will eventually be transplanted outdoors. More expensive systems are required for an indoor garden.

Comment

My thoughts are find a good source for plants. I have good luck with using MgSO4 (Epsom salt) as a spray on Carolina Reaper plants. I'm in Indiana, so we have similar growing seasons. And you're right, the Reapers don't come on fully until late August, early September. This past summer I had three harvests of reaper peppers. I grew five plants and they looked like bushes when they were done growing at frost.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_184745.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	623259

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you dry them? I use a dehydrator and have to dry them out in the garage, which is detached from the house. That’s because of the wife who cain’t stand anything hot.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                mrteddyprincess all of those from 5 plants? Are the ones in the foreground reapers from 5 plants? That is a lot of peppers.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Dayum, that is a table fulla goody!
                My yields were not comparable, last year; purty much everybody's, herebouts, got burned up all year, then cut short by early killer frosts...

Here's to 2019 bein better, cause I'm either too stubborn, or too stupid (probly both) to quit growin my own!

The Florida growing season starts earlier than in most other places. Here's this years peppers seeded in November - December. Will be able to transplant into the ground in mid-late February.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peppers.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	623931

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here