Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Pumpkin Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Pumpkin Butter

Today we cooked up A LOT of Pumpkin Butter today.

Yesterday the in-laws carved up a bunch of pumpkins (three 50-55 gallon trash barrels fool after cut up).

Today we cooked it all up. We used three large copper kettles over fire to do it. After it cooked down a bit and the water was mostly cooked out we added sugar and cinnamon and let it cook a little longer.

We started just before 8:00 and finished around 6:00. The ladies over estimated on how much pumpkin we needed and ended up only using about 2 and 1/4 of the trash cans full of pumpkin.

We will I’ll use this for pumpkin pie, soup, pumpkin bars, cheese cake, ice cream, etc... basically anything pumpkin. I think if people knew the work that went into this the fall pumpkin craze might not be such a craze lol.

Final result was over 34 gallons (136 quarts or 272 pints).

Click image for larger version

Name:	B2B8CA87-2EA7-4CB2-9DF9-281D63C4A7B2.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	588141

Name:	4DB3EA3F-8AF0-402D-951A-7FC046B700B1.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	588139

Name:	E586995B-4891-490C-949E-11E1D43D71E8.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	588142

Name:	DC5946F7-50B0-49C0-8449-53537ED65ABD.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	588145

Name:	B87BB151-7B01-49FB-9560-CFB7EF69E9A4.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	588146

Name:	69C28BBC-6C0E-49D0-B5EC-62A09A9C03E5.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	588144

Name:	416118E6-C969-4D11-AB88-5AE37A9DEC96.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	588140

Name:	9AC4B82A-B3F0-4658-8173-07120F476227.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	588143

This is why canned pumpkin is actually not pumpkin but a different type of squash. Takes too much effort to mass process.

Good for you guys!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      We rotate. One year is apple butter, another is vegetable soup, and then another is pumpkin butter... sometimes multiple things in a year. They also raise and butcher some chickens once or twice a year. Hard to beat the real stuff.

That is some set up. I bet it has a fantastic aroma ‘

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Not bad although I tend to favor the apple butter aroma when we do it.

You guys are frikkin' crazy in SUCH a good way. We are looking to move right now - got any neighboring homes available? My wife is an attack nurse (air lift) - which also seems like a good fit as a neighbor for y'all...

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Crazy is probably right... good way is debatable lol.... I wish there was some property available. My wife and I are wanting to move out of town a bit.

This almost (but not quite 😎) makes me wish that I like pumpkin. Great job!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. To be honest with you I’m not huge on everything Pumpkin. In fact the pumpkin spice trend in fall makes me gag sometimes with the concoctions that are dreamed up. I just like to have a few slices of pumpkin pie buried under a mountain of cool whip during the holiday season.

Yowza!!!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Yowza is kind of how I feel today after all the work yesterday.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll bet!

I am impressed! Great job.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Nate. I live in a big farming community. I know I take a lot of things for granted when I pay a few bucks more for products at my local farmer's market, which is a true farmer's market. I always know the products taste better but never consider the work and effort put into making them.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here