Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall is Apple season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall is Apple season

Back when---I worked for 2 years commuting in and out of Kazakstan.
    We spent a lot of time in Almaty (Almata) My favorite times to go in and out was during the fall when it was apple season.
    The Almata mountains that surround the city are said to be the birth place of our modern varieties of Apples.
    I would always take time to make a trip into the mountains to sample from the birth place orchards.
    We do get a variety of apples here in the US but some of the types I ate in Kazakstan were beyond what we get here.
    Some as red a rubies--some yellow--some pink--all different colors, tastes and textures. Some as big as softballs some as small as golf balls all delicious.
    A little trivia if you care to read it.
    Granny Smiths and Fujis can both be traced back to Kazakhstan, where apples still grow wild.

That is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Who do we blame for the Red Delicious?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        + 1, but it's my wife's favorite...

Next up will be Cosmic Crisp. Apple growers are planting millions of tree for the variety because they think it is that good. It should start appearing in groceries next year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here