Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member needs help please --corn on the cob after grilling 1 1/2 " thick ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member needs help please --corn on the cob after grilling 1 1/2 " thick ribeye

Have a nice big ribeye salted, chilled and corn on the cob afterwards --will do on my new Traeger Silverton using the Grilled Butter Basted Ribeye recipe.

I think that when I take the steak off, I need to wait a few minutes to let the grill cool a little before doing the corn ??

I want to do the Ultimate Grilled Corn recipe w/o Tarragon because the wife doesn't like.

Please can someone teach me some how to not destroy the corn by putting it on too soon after the steak ? -- I do have the ThermoPro instant read digital thermometer that I could touch to the rack, but what temperature should I be looking for before starting the corn.

I do want the nice grill marks and not burnt to a crisp.

Thanks to all for any help.

If the corn is still in the husk, soak it in water for at least 30 minutes, the grill right after the steak, it will steam that way.

Comment

I would do the corn first.

Comment

• barebear
        barebear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you ! Will try --didn't do any of it yet --wife is not well -we're both 74 and stuff changes day to day. Maybe I get a chance today --only 11:30 AM here in Calilooney.

Are you going to sear the steak on the Traeger too?

I would suggest reverse searing the steak but cooking the corn while or right after slow cooking the steak but before searing it. I wouldn’t want to sear the steak and then wait 15-20 minutes to cook the corn. You could roll the corn around a bit while the Cooker is heating up tonsearkng temp to get the coloration you are looking for.

When I do my corn I do it like Meathead suggests but I no longer use tarragon as we didn’t care for it. I end using this salt mix we have as well as a little paprika or chili powder depending on the heat you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	87A43250-7BFB-48AB-8B03-A65B324E56CF.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	548513

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A757E5D-840A-4307-B197-F28B9944A7EE.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	548514
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        That corn looks great Nate!

• barebear
        barebear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you ! Great igea ! Will try --didn't do any of it yet --Maybe I get a chance today --only 11:50 AM here in Calilooney.

Yes indeed that corn looks awesome --hope mine turns out 1/2 as good. Traeger is a new wonderland to explore; I think there may be a major learning curve that all you nice people will help with as I encounter what will probably be myriad mysteries.
        Last edited by barebear; August 14, 2018, 12:50 PM. Reason: forgot to comment re the corn

If you decide to go steak first if it’s a gas grill, just lower the flame when you are done with the steak. The grates will cool down pretty quickly and I don’t think you will burn the corn especially if you roll it around a little.

Comment

barebear , since you talk about grill marks on the corn, I'm assuming you are planning on grilling minus the husks. I do use the tarragon. I like it, and my wife hasn't complained. (Actually, I just asked her, and she didn't really like it the first time or two, but it's growing on her.) I think the grill grate will cool off faster than you think. I think, without looking, that Meathead recommends 5 minutes on a side, and I rarely let the corn stay on the first side or two that long, before I turn it. Turn it after a couple of minutes the first time or two, and I don't think you are going to burn it. Total, I probably only have the corn on the grill for about 15 minutes, and it seems to be done enough for us. As my wife told me again tonite, when I wasn't completely satisfied with what I did, it's a learning experience, and if you don't like it the way you do it the first time, change it the next time. Not everything will come out perfect (for you) the first time, even if you follow what someone else likes perfectly.
        Last edited by Bogy; August 13, 2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Bogy,

Thanks for the advice --the corn will need less time at lower heat ? I should per other replies do it first ? What temperatrure on the Traeger ?

Comment

Depends on if and how you want to do a sear, but I'd do the corn last. I'd turn the grill down to 225-250. But I wouldn't necessarily wait for it to get that cool before I put it on. IMHO the meat will do better "resting" (even though I don't normally see a reason to "rest" the meat. I'd rather have the corn hot, right off the grill.

Comment

• barebear
              barebear commented
              Editing a comment
              This totally makes sense -- have always rested meat foil covered for 10 -15 minutes --seems less juices come out of the meat when carved. Thank you again -- temperature guide for the corn -- I was guessing that would be the temp. to do corn at --thanks for the velidation.
              Last edited by barebear; August 14, 2018, 01:13 PM.

Thanks Bogy !

Comment

IMO good sweet corn doesn’t tske much time to cook. If cooking in the husk, peel back the top portion a little and remove the silk and close it back up. I’ll soak it in very salty water for between 30 min and an hour. Then throw it on the indirect side of the grill 20 mins or so. Another way is shuck it then par boil in salt water for 5 min then straight on a hot grill for a little char.
              I love topping it with some butter and a little queso or feta cheese.

Comment

• barebear
                barebear commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks !

• barebear
                barebear commented
                Editing a comment
                Just re-read your comment --MH says no husk --was going to rub them w/ butter and have some molten too to pour over when they come off the grill. Thanks again --so glad I found this site !

I usually get the potatoes and then the corn on early and get them off while I'm still in the low temp portion of the steak cook. Provided you have the room, that gets everything done and hot to the table at the same time. Or, wrap the corn in foil to keep the temperature up if you finish it before you start the steaks.

Best regards,
              Jim

Comment

• barebear
                barebear commented
                Editing a comment
                Potatoes --baked style ? --how do you do that ? Thanks for the tips ! I ruined a couple of bakers last week thinking they'd slow cook on the top rack of the Traeger while the ribs were at 225. Instead they just dried up and had to be tossed.
                Last edited by barebear; August 14, 2018, 01:14 PM. Reason: typo

I love this site -- am new member and this is the only thing I've joined online. It's so cool to know there are others like me out there !

Comment

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, this is a great site, lots of friendly, helpful people. My only downside is that I joined several years ago, but didn't take advantage of this part of AmazingRibs until this summer. Missed out on some great opportunities.

Do we have any Traeger owners ( Especially the Silverton model ) in the Oakland Calif area ? If we do, can some one hook us up ?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here