Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Shishito Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with Shishito Peppers

We planted two shishito pepper bushes and we are swimming in them.I have scorched a few and tossed them on sandwiches. What else should I do with them?

If you have a wok or use one great, if not screaming hot pan. Blister them in good quality sesame oil, add garlic if you choose and finish them with sea salt and pepper. Do you have any smoked sea salt handy??

A little yuzu and soy is good too.
    Simple and delicious!
    Last edited by HouseHomey; August 4, 2018, 11:40 AM. Reason: added smoked salt

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely will try this!

Wikipedia sez: "For cooking, a hole is poked in the pepper beforehand to keep expanding hot air from bursting the pepper. It may be skewered then broiled (grilled), or pan-fried in oil, stewed in a soy sauce- and dashi-based liquid, or simply eaten raw in a salad or as a condiment. It is thin-skinned and will blister and char easily compared with thicker-skinned varieties of peppers."

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey sez it better, though!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, he do.

Pickle them with hot peppers for a relish. 50/50 would be a good starting point. Adjust the ratio to your level of heat.

Chow chow comes to mind subbing your peppers for green peppers.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That my friend sounds fantastic!

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I definately will try a refrigerator pickle, along with pearl onions for martinis...

Ok I have to laugh that this post got redirected... lol

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. I didnt even notice that. Amazing...ribs

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that, too. Ha!

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaaarrrrgghhh

2 things i love to do with shishito peppers:

-use them in kebobs
    -batter and fry them

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't ever change that $#!^

LOL!!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I told you man about that pic!! Spinaker ain't lying. Rocking it old school.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the battering idea too!

I like to scorch them, wrap them in cellophane and then freeze them in 4 pepper packs. Then when I need to make some chili, I just throw a pack in the blender with some fresh tomato, a little onion, cilantro and a kiss of smoked salt. Works like a charm.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      So what your saying is, you make salsa? Who would have thunk it. Not me, never considered a traditional salsa with shishito. DOH!! Face palm 🤦

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, sister-law-calls it chili. HouseHomey

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here