Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomatillo recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomatillo recipe

So every year we grow something we never did before, this year is celery and tomatillo. I'm looking for some good salsa recipes using these green balls

Man I was doing great always posting in the right forum till now, I now have a blemish mark. ☹

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I see nothing. FYI- I had a blemish before you.

brush 8 tomatillos, two jalapenos, a poblano, and a thick sliced white onion with oil. Grill on medium high until nice sear marks. Put chilis in a zipper bag closed and let steam for about 15 minutes, then scrape off the skin, and remove stems. Drop everything in the blender with 2 cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of lime juice, and 1/2 cup of cilantro. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. For a creamy twist add 1/2 cup Mexican crema and an avocado while blending as well, then top with cotija cheese.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s been a while since I’ve made a tomatillo salsa. This recipe has me thinking I need to try yours! Thanks for the detail!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't argue with this.

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Very similar to the recipe I use, except the garlic is fresh roasted and I also use some meaty red tomatoes (roasted). I also use cumin and a cap of white vinegar.

What texastweeter said! That sounds outstanding with the crema & avacado.

Comment

What texastweeter said only 1/2 onion and add green onion whites. Still onion but different onion flavors. More cilantro, tomatillo loves cilantro. Tweeter pretty much summed it up. The rest is just variation for preference. Add this or that.

Play off the acidic and tart. Great stuff. I like seeded roasted/charred tomatos 🍅 in mine too.

also try myer lemon, less acidic and more depth. A splash of tangerine or fresh orange helps too but you don't really want to taste that.

a little parsley and tarragon mixed with your cilantromis great too. But at least 90% cilantro. Only fresh herbs.

hope is helps.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Money additions! Cooking School of HouseHomey

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        We are in the presence of Greatness.

I hope you have a big garden area, tomatillos can propagate and spread out quite well from year to year.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim that's all? 😀 Dang man... who weeds?

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        It was 185 ft couple of years ago. If she plants it right the tiller does it HouseHomey

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        That dont count the sugar snap peas,tomatoes,peppers,eggplant,and potatoes in bags and pots along the walkway

Hahaha, that oughtta do it! At our previous home we only had to plant tomatillos one time, they volunteered after that.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwahahahaha!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Doh!!!

I like to get chili Colorado when I go to Mexican restaurants but lately I’ve been getting a Chili Verde with seasoned chicken instead of steak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here