Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Pepper Season Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Pepper Season Begins

Getting a jump start this year. Starting some Peppers from seed and I am already running out of space. I also have an order shipping from Chili Peppers.com. I will need to set up something in the Basement so my wife can have her plant stand back.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	60BD1C91-E758-4240-B953-89DEED203BCA.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	464632

That’s seriously cool Scott. I haven’t gotten up the nerve to plant my own seeds yet. But that little set up inspires me. What is it? Name,model. Lighting??

Comment

One of my favorite things to grow. So much bang for the effort. Here are some of the spoils of last year.

Name:	XvoeCUIGBhQedckhLvnzIBW8wwzKZBk-MUlJWXLJkidkBwRZ5OgKhCLaDLyAXk5TnZkaOQ7f_OBjMeSmU1ELjkIRVQHMddFA_O-QyJImzuZYUXyXqzyNEGQPMDWWfVq1lhwaU2p1U4yRQW23BJ9bXwe8ZuENXJl3hRo50SA63Xk2RpJBfbgfd-5ONMm_mv1x1SAYahv4NS19gIhXiTqhfSQezr42qcGRlKBkORdR4xAotLPycDnPwbho8O-DnM7
Views:	178
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	464641

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Peppers grow like weeds in Texas. So easy to grow that they actually become a nusance.

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s not a Fair, it’s cold here.

You are starting them very early Scott. Be careful to not let them get too leggy. It takes a lot of light and coolish temps to prevent tall, skinny growth. Put them outside when the temp is 60* + to help prevent problems. Do bring them in when the temp drops to 60*. It also wouldn't hurt to put a small fan near them to blow on them. That will make the stems sturdier.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, yes I am early. I am keeping the lights up tight and I am hoping that will help. It is also cool in my basement so that should slow them a bit. It is a learning adventure for sure. I did ok last year, this year will be better. Thanks You for the advise. I definitely will try the fan too.

I just crown you as "The Pepper King".

Comment

I was looking for the trippy posters.

Comment

Pirate Scott , last year I grew cherry tomatoes in a planter on my deck, and they were fine. Are there any secrets to growing something like serranos in a planter? Or, can I just put a seeding in the pot and water it and look for peppers come late summer?

Comment

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca I have not heard of them? Pequins? If you want to try an interesting Pepper try Tequila Sunrise. They are smaller than a jalapeño and a little sweet. They are very ornamental too. Chiliplants.com has them.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca - yes you can eat those tiny peppers. There are a number of varieties and I have never seen one that said they were not edible. Full sun is very important for peppers because they are actually a tropical plant. If memory serves me, they are on the hotter side.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        If you like pequins, try purple fluorescents great earth flavor, and plenty of heat. My 12 year old son will eat one and then dare one of his friend to. you can pretty much count to 10 and then bet they are headed to the nearest water hose.

Mosca you can grow almost any plant in almost any container. The container needs to be able to have good drainage and be big enough for the plant to thrive in, to small and the plant will be stunted. The media can actually be just about anything from using hydrotron ( i believe that's right) it is clay pellets used in semi hydroponics to sawdust shavings as long as you give it the right nutrients that it is in, along with enough sunlight that it can handle. The better growing media,and care you give it the better the plant will grow and produce. In my experience the best growing media is a soil less mix in containers as it retains moisture better does not compact and harden like a dirt mix so the root system can grow stronger. As far as fertilizer goes Osmecote,or Miracle Grow will work ok for you, or you can go one step further and use MSU fertilizer which goes by the type of water your using, well,city,or rain
      ​

Comment

These are pequins, also called bird peppers because birds are immune to capsaicin.

Name:	A1515ACF-F127-42CD-9953-29FBA7C20E55.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	464985

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, those look interesting.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          and they are FANTASTIC in stir fry, pepper sauces, or to amp up the heat in a salsa rojo!

Set up a table in the basement today, hopefully this will work out. Time will tell.

Name:	552F148B-A4AA-48B3-A311-582EAE7D4598.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	465421

Comment

A Watched Ghost Pepper never Sprouts.

Name:	ED9DC96F-E09E-4C3D-8D93-95CD90850E4B.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	465918

Comment

Hey pirate Scott, you aren’t the only one getting ready for the garden. I set this up in the downstairs bathroom the one we never shower in. I have a variety of tomatoes and pepper plants planted. I’m looking forward to the garden this year. Click image for larger version

Name:	83550350-465A-4456-BCAC-F7F9781DC8BE.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	466070

Comment

• Pirate Scott
              Pirate Scott commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice Setup!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Meanwhile in a dorm room in California...Yall are all fancy. Thank God Texas has a great climate for chilis

RonB's comments (#4 and in #7) above are spot on for growing peppers in the mid-Atlantic. We've grown dozens of varieties over the past 15 years with NO problems. My wife grows almost ALL her veggies from seed. FWIW, she always starts her peppers and tomatoes the second week in March indoors under grow lights and keeps the lights on 12 hours a day and about two inches above the plants. She hardens them in a lean-to greenhouse facing Southeast, and plants them by May. The pepper varieties she grows now will produce into September.

On a completely different subject, she has also told me that I MUST have the WSCGC cleaned, uncovered, and ready by 1 April.

Comment

I ain’t afraid of no Ghosts. Added Some More Lights. Transplanted 16 Ghost Pepper Seedlings.

Name:	35612F2A-9885-4193-B9DF-EDFC3EF95123.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	468971

Comment

Coming along Nicely.

Name:	E22CE4D0-4C6F-4CA0-956F-89FE2550C476.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	479453
              May be Topping some of these next weekend.

Name:	86B0262A-B0DF-4E59-B851-9D91EE6D8326.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	479452
              The Jalapeños were the first to germinate.

Name:	54FDD80A-DACA-4FD7-BD43-3A3B80802476.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	479454

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                lol looks like it belongs in a closet somewhere, or in Colorado... Nice grow!

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice start Scott.
                To bad for me. I ordered the grow light kit you suggested to use in an upstairs room we really don’t use. And the wife said "No way not turning the house into a planter ". So I canceled my order.

• Pirate Scott
                Pirate Scott commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve B Happy Wife Happy Life. You can order Still order Plants to give you an early start with very little work or space. Mine just arrived today, my wife said they look Great. Now if it would warm up!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here