Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ghost Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ghost Peppers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	339986 First Pepper on Ghost Plant, several others in Bloom. Hopefully we can get a good harvest. Ghost, Carolina Reaper, Jalepeno, Tequila Sunrise, LunchBox, Red Bell, Chocolate Habenaro, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	339984

Name:	IMG_1153.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	339985

WooHoo!!!

Comment

I can feel the heat through the screen.

Comment

I love peppers, just not the hottest kinds, jalapeños are as hot as we grow. I have a bell pepper plant in a box that is in its third year of producing peppers. I have moved it into my garage for the winter the last 2 Novembers before frost killed it. We have had fresh peppers in January the last two winters. This plants stems are almost like a small tree now, but will have the first ones ready to pick in about a week. Just a fun experiment.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          That's cool, I have been doing a lot of research on the web it seems like you can grow them all year. I will probably try it with at least one.

I am scared of ghost peppers. Tell me about them when they are ripe and you pick them. I want to know if after handling they wash off without killing every body part you touch thereafter. I'm serious about that. I grow lots of peppers and some wash off well and others do not. Those are nice flowers and I'm sure they will give you a nice yield.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
          Michael Brinton commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had them follow me. Reapers, ouch! 1:1 water/hydrogen peroxide with a little baking soda will take the burn down

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          After burning my eyes and other body parts way too many times, I now wear disposable gloves when handling any type of hot peppers.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          We wear gloves when harvesting anything hotter than a chocolate habanero, ghosts, Carolinas, scorpions and such.

I have had Chicken Wings with Ghost Pepper, they had a nice flavor with some Heat. I don't like hot unless it tastes good. Looking forward to trying some new recipes.

Comment

kmhfive tbob4 Oakgrovebacon Leave it to the Pit to find a special kind of crazy to eat this stuff. I feel like I need to turn in my Mexican card and and bow. I too enjoy heat with flavor, not just heat. The hottest I'll go is I have a "Tropical Slaw" recipe that has 1 minced Scott bonnet its super delicious. I have to stick to my serrano and jalapeños. These ghost peppers and the like are nuts. Great looking plants.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, can you share the slaw recipe? Love the Jalapeños and Serrano peppers too! The fresher the hotter.

My brother grew this one. I think I'll wear gloves, deseed and put in a jar with vinegar and salt. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	340138

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! You are Harvesting? I am way behind.

Nice, lottsa peppers of all kinds of heat and flavor! I agree with kmhfive about Ghosts. Great, intense fruity flavor - but also very intense heat. I never eat them whole. I smoke and dry some with course salt and garlic for a tasty smoked ghost garlic salt. And, I found a great recipe for Ghost Pepper Jelly. The sweetness and use of sweet peppers in addition to the Ghost give a spicey hot and sweet tasty jelly. Not too hot, just right!

My Ghosts and Garlic are coming along. No peppers yet, but lots of flowers developing. I even planted a Chocolate Ghost this year (not in this photo):

Name:	FB_IMG_1498778671560 (Large).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	340165

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking Good!

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't wait to get some fresh Ghosts. One of these days, I'm going to find time to plant some!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Tellin' you guys, this dude can make some killer smoked salt! If yer lucky, he might send you some! Pirate Scott kmhfive

awwww... they're so cute when they're young!

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            They do grow up fast.

Start thinking about your preservation plan now because those peppers really produce. You wait and wait for the first couple to ripen. Then by the end of the season you've got pounds of them. All the super hots are prolific Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_163000.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	340288 Reapers are as mean as they look.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I hope it goes that good for us.

Very nice. I love ghost peppers! I love those planters too! That is a great idea. I am not growing any Ghost peppers this year.

However, I have some Carolina Reapers that are going like crazy! Thanks to @ribeyeguy

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2560.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	340301

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Nice, those are Healthy Looking.

Well my little Serrano, jalapeño and Anaheim says hello to you Spinaker and Pirate Scott. We are on the safer side of the crazy heat index above. I see your chilis and raise you some lemons.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7445.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	340360Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7441.JPG Views:	1 Size:	541.9 KB ID:	340359Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7442.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	340361
          Last edited by HouseHomey; June 30, 2017, 03:31 PM. Reason: Pics, oops

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Touche! Sir. No way those babies are surviving this Minnesota winter.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Pirate Scott turned into "pirate" oops.

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that is amazing! I wish my Apples looked that good.

Speaking as one who thinks of mayo as a "spice", I sure hope you hotheads all live downwind from the Denver area ... ...

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol! I remember a fellow I worked with claimed the chief spice in German food was potatoes.

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            There used to be a cajun restaurant in Minneapolis that had a billboard, "Hey Minnesota, ketchup is not a spice."

Hey all, I just noticed I've got 3 - about 1.5 inch long - Ghost Peppers on one plant and nothing yet on the other two. I think i'll need to move them all to get more direct sun. This is my first time growing peppers. Do I wait until they are red to pick them? I'm going to make some pepper jelly, what else do you do with your peppers? HouseHomey Spinaker Michael Brinton Pirate Scott Steve B kmhfive ribeyeguy

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I give them to people I don't like. Just Kidding...

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine are all producing Fruit except my reaper. They are in direct sun, but we have had too much rain. I picked one ghost early and it was delicious. I am patiently waiting for them to ripen. You can eat them green if you want, won't be as hot.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            I mince some fresh to add in salsa. I take a few and put in a bottle of Apple Cider vinegar as a condiment (tastes great on Collard or Turnip greens). Last year I added two to a fermented pepper sauce that turned out amazing.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here