Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite thing to do with fresh garden tomatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite thing to do with fresh garden tomatoes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I6101.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	339844 I've been pickin' tomatoes since early June, but I don't plant as many as I used to so we have to decide what we want first, then second, etc.

So first was to just bite a ripe tomato. It's hard to beat that.
    Next we had BLTs. That's probably my favorite way to enjoy just picked tomatoes.
    And of course, I also love me a tomato sammy with mayo, salt and pepper.
    Next up is homemade pico de gallo. I don't drain the tomatoes though - I'm not wasting that juice.
    Being from the South, I think tomato and bacon biscuits are next - along with some home grown field peas.

So what do you eat first, and second, and .... ?

Just eating them fresh definitely 1st.

BLT/plain tomato sammich tied for 2nd.

Caprese salad with fresh mozzarella 3rd.

Comment

Taking a bite right after picking, then a tomato and mayo sammy.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto, the first thing before anything else. It has become a ritual for me.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed--biting into a sun-warmed tomato right off the vine is pure heaven.

Kathryn

Thick slice of Vidalia onion, slice of provolone cheese, thick slice of tomato, Italian Dressing and a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan on top.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        The same exact thing but with Catalina dressing.😜

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Grilled? CandySueQ

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting thought, fzxdoc! Might do that tonight to go with steak. I'll photo document. Assuming t-storms don't prevent grilling.

Making my mouth water. In Pa I'm still a few weeks out. Everything mentioned is on my list. I like quit sauces, cooked and uncooked, with fresh pasta. I switch to varieties so I usually line then up and our family tastes each one with a bit of salt.

Comment

BLTs with homemade bacon!!!! Been making bacon for months just to get ready for tomato season! Can't wait!

Comment

Slice, salt and eat! Our first are ready tomorrow. We've never gotten tomatoes in June before (from living in Mass).

Comment

We're still a couple of weeks out before our first 'maters will be ready. Initially, we do caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, basil, & balsamic vinegar)...then comes the BLTs. After that, we usually start hoarding them so we can do a round or two of canning whole tomatoes, juice, and salsa. We also try to freeze several chili base/starter packs.

Comment

I hate tomatoes. But enjoy tomato sauce. I turn away fresh tomatoes from my father in law's garden every year. I should accept them and try my hand at making my own sauce.

I hate tomatoes though. Can't stand the texture. Taste isn't great either.

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Olives are terrible.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Fresh tomatoes make the best tomato sauces - pizza and spaghetti as well as salsa

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Have yet to try a vegetable or fruit I won't eat, but I think they taste different for different people. That's my theory anyway.

Caprese salad! Fresh tomato and buffalo mozzarella slices, and fresh basil (maybe a little arugula, too) ... all drizzled with really good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                You got that right!

K.

• JGrana
                JGrana commented
                Editing a comment
                My vote as well for Caprese salad! Especially with fresh picked basil grown next to the tomato plants!

If not fresh caprese salad (YUM!) then I like to slice them into ~1/4" slices, add some salt & pepper, drizzle a wee bit of EVOO and cut pieces & eat as if it were a hunk of meat.

Comment

BT ( no L) with jalepeno/maple bacon - freezer stocked with bacon waiting for tomatoes. About 2 weeks. Then with maple espresso bacon.

Comment

Lots of good ideas here - keep 'em coming.

Comment

Eat like an apple first, Sauceless pizzas, and meatheads grilled spaghetti sauce

Comment

a tomato sandwich with Hellman's Mayo, Salt and Pepper from a Tomato fresh from my little garden.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice looking tomatoes. I'm dying to break open our first Paul Robeson over the weekend!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here