Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Mayonnaise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Mayonnaise

Headnotes:
    Anyone who hasn't had homemade mayonnaise is in for a real treat here. One word of caution, though, is that once you've made your own, you won't want to eat the stuff you buy in the store. Don't say I didn't warn you in advance.

This recipe calls for pasteurized eggs to stave off the possibility of introducing salmonella into your mayonnaise. Pasteurizing eggs is a pretty simple process that can be accomplished in a small (the smallest you have) cooler. Boil some water and add it to the cooler to give you a depth of about 4-5" of hot water. Let it sit for a few minutes to warm up the cooler, then add cool water (mixing constantly) until the temp of the water in the cooler reaches 140℉. Add your eggs. Monitor temp to ensure it doesn't drop below 135℉. If it does, add a little more hot water to adjust the temp back up. Once you're stable at between 135℉ and 140℉, close the lid and let the eggs sit for 75 minutes. Carefully remove them and cool them in an ice bath before use.

Note that this recipe makes 32 fl oz of mayonnaise. It can easily be scaled back as needed. When we make it, I typically make various dressings to use up what I don't need as a condiment, but it will store in the refrigerator as well as the store-bought stuff.

Ingredients:
    • 2.5 fl oz Pasteurized Egg Yolk (about 6 yolks)
    • 3 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
    • 3 Tablespoons of Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (if you prefer less lemon, water can be substituted in equal amounts here)
    • 2 teaspoons Coleman's Dry Mustard Powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon Turbinado
    • 24 fl oz vegetable oil (we like to make it with 1/2 virgin avocado oil and 1/2 extra virgin olive oil)
    • Salt/Pepper to taste
    Directions:
    1. Add the egg yolks, vinegar, lemon juice (and water if you're substituting for some of the lemon juice), mustard powder, and turbinado in the blender. Mix well.
    2. With the blender running (and it doesn't have to be on full blast here), start to add the oil through the hole in the lid in a VERY SLOW, STEADY stream. As you are adding the oil, it is emulsifying with the egg by forming tiny little drops of oil, adding too quickly doesn't allow the emulsification to happen and will result in a runny, entirely inedible mess.
    3. As you continue to add the oil, you will see the mixture start to transform into something familiar and creamy. As the mixture thickens, add some speed to the blades to keep the mixing going and emulsification happening.
    4. If you exceed the capacity (either speed of the blades or volume of mixture) of your blender, it's safe at this point to turn out into a mixing bowl and finish by hand with a sturdy balloon whisk. Keep adding the oil in a slow, steady stream until all the oil is incorporated.
    5. Season to taste and enjoy.
    Last edited by mrmikemgm; July 20, 2014, 09:17 AM. Reason: This feeds into the Coleslaw recipe posted in this same forum.

I use sous vide a decent amount as I've seen you do in other posts. Thank you for posting the reverse engineering method to make this technique more approachable to those without a sous vide setup

Comment

• mrmikemgm
      mrmikemgm commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy to share and glad someone found it useful. The down-side to this method is that it really only works for small volumes of food and short "cook" times. Of course, the same concept is true about this as is true about pools and aquariums... the more water, the easier it is to maintain (the temperature).

I've had to pasteurize eggs a few times for custard based ice creams. It's certainly easier to do when you have a dedicated sous vide cooker

Comment

Hi, Have you tried using 1 tsp/tbs as an emulsion starter? I read that some where (not in the "Science of Good Cooking" . I'd like to read that article as it made making mayo almost flawless and fast.

Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here