Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled cauliflower steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled cauliflower steaks

l'inferno 's post about caponata and smoked vegetables, along with a sale on cauliflower at the grocery store, inspired me to give a shot at the grilled cauliflower steaks in the Meathead book. Salt, pepper, olive oil, toss, grill. I followed the recipe exactly as given (it is ridiculously simple anyhow), using the BGE. Oh; I didn't follow it exactly. I did the florets in a vegetable holder, but 325* direct instead of indirect. I wanted them to brown. I did the florets first, removed them to a warming dish, and then grilled the cauliflower steaks, direct at about 350*. First and foremost: these are FUN. I mean, they are just so outrageous looking! Honest to goodness, every time I looked at them I just started smiling! Second, salt, pepper, and olive oil are good. The cauliflower keeps all of its cabbaginess, and stays really meaty, if you do it about 10 minutes while flipping frequently. But these would be better with something like lemon pepper. Nothing too over the top, but more than just salt and pepper. I would make these again and again just for the appearance. The fact that they are easy to do and taste good, that just makes it more worthwhile. Extra little burger is for the puppino.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 21, 2016, 01:12 PM.

And my post got stung by the iPad edit bug, that removes paragraphs and line breaks. Just figure that I really didn't write a wall 'o text, I did punctuate that thing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I just tried to edit and add some breaks. Didn't take.

I need to do this. Had some in a restaurant recently, LOVED 'em.

How thick? My book ain't come in yet.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 21, 2016, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I need to do this. Had some in a restaurant recently, LOVED 'em.

How thick? My book ain't come in yet.
      Maybe a little more than 1/2"? It was a pretty big head of cauliflower, I got three steaks out of it and a big bowl of grilled florets. There's just me and Mrs, and she won't be hungry for a few more days yet, (last chemo ended Saturday, hooray!) so I'll probably toss the florets with some vinaigrette and Parmesan and have them as a salad tomorrow.

Actually Parmesan would be good on them right off the grill. Yeah, that would be killer; drizzle with olive oil and Parmesan.

Comment

• GBA
        GBA commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on last chemo

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

I love cauliflower. I will have to try this. Very cool how they brown.

Comment

I like to grill cauliflower, too. I like to use Gram Marsala. Also, I like to cook the entire head at 375 for an hour indirect on the BGE rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with vegetable seasoning from Big Lots.

Comment

Bet they will be really good with Bay seasoning, Slap Yo Mama seasoning or Tony C

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't go wrong with some Tony C

Throw some pesto on it. Saw on bon appetit. I can't get myself to call it a steak though, I go with plank.

Comment

Thanks for your post. Ironically I did the cauliflower steaks too. Didn't follow recipe and simply tried to grill at medium heat flipping at regular intervals. Probably cut them wrong as I only got 3 steaks. Needed to finish in oven to cook through. Saw a recipe that finishes with Sriracha. I think they are begging for chimchurri. All the proposed ideas sound great too. Cauliflower is a great platform. My girlfriend makes cauliflower risotto and mashed mostly cauliflower potatoes. Both are great sides.
            Keep the veg side recipes coming. I don't want to give up on the quest for an awesome smoked veg side.

Comment

I plan on trying it with a remoulade sauce. Your cauliflower steaks look mighty tasty, Mosca .

Best wishes to your wife on her continued journey back to good health. You both must be so relieved that those chemo treatments are in your rear view mirror.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; June 23, 2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I have done this (it's in my book). You can also puree it with butter and cream in the blender. Makes a nice sauce.

Comment

Yes. Definitely a great recipe and an additional great idea. Maybe cauliflower is a smoke-able veg option (in my quest to find some). I'm still very new (simultaneously cracking the spine of your book whilst cracking open the door of the MES). Sorry if asked before but can you do a "quick smoke" of veg, like 10-15 minutes? More? Less? Thanks and have a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                    I have done this (it's in my book). You can also puree it with butter and cream in the blender. Makes a nice sauce.
                    LOL Meathead, that's where I got the idea and the recipe! Thanks!

Next time, lemon-pepper and fresh grated Parmesan or Romano.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here