Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant mashed potatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant mashed potatoes?

I try to keep some "emergency" sides on hand like boxed stuffing and flavored rice. It's been a long time since I tried instant mashed taters because whatever brand(s) I tried were not good.

Are there any good instant taters out there now?

Instant taters takes me back to my Navy days 50 plus years ago. The galley kept powdered taters on hand and made both mashed and fries from the same powder. The fries just got less water. The mix was then put through an extruder that shaped them into long continuous squares. There was a cutter where they came out that you used to cut them into whatever length you wanted. I remember being surprised that they were decent.

Look no further. They come in several varieties. Best I’ve found for instant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1572375

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      The box says 65 servings so I'm curious how many servings you need to satisfy one person. I would guess at least 2

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Davek8282 If you don’t expect anyone to come back for seconds about 2 servings per person will work. I always make too much so we can have potato cakes with dinner in a few days.

• DennyWoo
      DennyWoo commented
      Editing a comment
      These are my go to for quick mashed taters. I put some garlic powder in them, and use some heavy cream or half-n-half to liven things up

Many a fine meal with instant mashed potatoes. A staple growing up. Good memories.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      ground beef in beef gravy over instant mashed potatoes

please don’t ask for instant grits! 😁

Comment

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      One great movie.

• Purc
      Purc commented
      Editing a comment
      Just watch My Cousin Vinney again last week. A fun movie.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if Idahoans feel the same way about instant mashed potatoes as southerners do about instant grits? 😂

Instant mashed have come a long way. I’ve used them when I’ve only had a couple potatoes to split among four people; mix them all together and nobody can tell.

Comment

I use Aldi’s powdered mashed potatoes and they are decent.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone in my love of instant mashed potatoes! I get along with Kroger brand quite well!

Comment

Yup. I use them often. For two it’s so easy

Comment

Sorry to be the snob in the group, but it's real potatoes or none at all for me... 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John
              I don't eat canned or frozen veggies either...
              just never cared for the taste of them
              Pinkies up bitches 🤙

😂

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              😂😂

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you, to a point. Packaged potatoes, like Bob Evans’ or Reeser’s, are really good, but expensive compared to just making potatoes. Instant potatoes are decent, but not as good as real potatoes, and only save time; peeling potatoes isn’t hard, and once you’ve done that, the process is the same.

Instant potatoes are cheap and quick. I use them to extend mashed potatoes and as a thickener in soups and stews, and for those two things I think they’re an essential kitchen item.

The Idahoan brand mentioned about are good. We are particularly fond of Betty Crocker brand, though. We like the roasted garlic flavor the best.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here