Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever freeze avocados/guacamole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever freeze avocados/guacamole?

I bought a 4 pack thinking we were going to use them over the weekend. It turns out we didn’t, and additionally they all ripened at the same time, despite my trying to choose fruits that seemed at different stages.

The internet is divided on this, with some people saying that you can eat it after freezing, but it doesn’t taste good; and others saying that you can freeze it, but with caveats, the main one being that if you make guacamole and load it up with stuff, it thaws poorly. And everyone who says you can freeze it says to make guac.

With that in mind, I’m giving this a go. I’ve made 4 individual bags of guacamole. I kept it simple: avocado, salt, garlic powder, and lime juice. (I’ve found it’s better to use garlic powder rather than fresh garlic in guac; it’s easier to regulate quantity and it tastes good.) I mashed everything up and spooned it into sandwich bags. I squeezed all the air out of the baggies, and rolled them up like little lids of guacamole. Then I vacuum sealed them for the freezer:

Click image for larger version  Name:	B71F5575-5EB8-457A-A0E9-C11F11AFE862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	1377378

Thats it. I kept one out, the most ripe one, to make a guacamole omelet tomorrow. (If you’ve never had a guacamole omelet you don’t know what you’re missing.) As far as making a more complex guacamole, I can always add peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc after thawing, or I can take the short cut of mixing in some jarred salsa, either one.

I guess I’ll let youse all know what happens, huh?

Edit: Oh, guacamole omelet. Well, you shouldn’t heat the guacamole. What you do then is make a cheese omelet, and spoon the guacamole over top. It’s freakin’ awesome. You can add salsa, or hot sauce, or both.

I’m interest in the results. Sometimes we over buy avocados and that would be a way to use them.

Comment

I am curious about this. Please let us know. I need to try the guacamole on an omelet.

Comment

I’d be interested in the results, too. For me, I don’t think I could freeze leftover guacamole as I love pico de gallo in our guac. That’s said, with a surplus of avocados (so unlikely in CA 🤣), I could see making it the way you did Mosca and packing the same way. I also agree with no fresh veggies (onions, etc) until after thawed. I bet they would leech too much liquid and ruin the avocado mash.

and don’t make fun: avocado toast really is good. Sprinkle with lemon pepper.
        Last edited by SheilaAnn; February 13, 2023, 03:53 PM. Reason: Avocado toast suggestion

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          My standard breakfast is full guacamole (tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, etc), with crumbled bacon mixed in, on wheat toast, with cheddar cheese melted on top. I probably have that 4x a week.

I use Tajin seasoning, but lemon pepper would be equally good I think.

I would have kept them in the fridge and used them fresh.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          They were ready NOW. I even had to scrape a tiny bit of brown spot from two of them that were pulling away from the rind. I’m just glad they didn’t have those brown lines radiating through them. I don’t know if that’s okay or not, but I won’t eat them if they have those.

I've frozen guacamole before -- usually store-bought little wholly guacamole packets. I'd grab one from the freezer and put it with my lunch to take to work -- it worked well. I thought the texture and flavor held up. I'll be curious to hear more about your results.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the Wholly Guacamole website says it’s okay to do that! I’m glad to hear it works. I actually extrapolated that; if theirs works, then mine should, too, if I remove air and vacuum seal.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Also know that lots of chain restaurants bring frozen packs of guacamole (avocado mash) in the first place. Says the one who has worked on chain restaurants that serve “fresh” guacamole.

I've bought quacamole at Sam's Club that was in multiple vacuum seal type bags inside a box, and it stayed much fresher and green than the kind in a tub, as you just cut off a corner and squeeze out what you need. I then rolled up and clipped that corner closed again securely. I think doing it this way in a vacuum seal bag yourself should keep quite well in the freezer. And if you do the same thing - snip a corner of the bag and squeeze to dispense, it will stay fresher longer once you thaw it out.

Comment

I have frozen avocados before with good success. In fact I have 3 in the freezer right now.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Freeze them whole? Vacuumed sealed?

• efincoop
            efincoop commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, usually whole. However this last time I was short on time.... literally walking out the door, so I froze 2 whole and 1 half with the pit still in. I just threw them in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I just took the half out today and it was as green as the day I froze it.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks so much! I would have never thought freezing them would have worked.

Re: guacamole omelet: bacon and cheese omelet, topped with guacamole, salsa, and cotija cheese. Other omelets might be as good. But they can only be as good, they can’t be better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4FE9A729-E6E3-40E0-BA53-6EB282D4E264.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1377636

Comment

I freeze the little packs of Wholly Guacamole that Costco carries all the time.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. We buy the small packs and I'm the only one in the house that eats it. I just froze ours!

Comment

I have an avocado tree in the backyard, so yes, I've done it. It blooms usually in Feb, we've had a colder than usual Jan and I think it got a little frostbit this year. No buds yet, but probably soon. The fruit is usually right to pick by mid-late June to early July, and officially they aren't supposed to ripen until after picked from the tree, but the squirrels and other raiders don't know that. As a result, usually when they are all good to pick (can be up to 40 at a time), I mash about half and freeze like you've done. Then, I throw a bunch loose in the freezer drawer. Most of my avocado use is as mash, but if I want them sliced, I thaw and slice and they seem fine. Mine are a Haas variety called Joey, and they do well that way.

Comment

I have a habit of freezing beans, rice, cheese and sliced avocado in Ole tortillas. Roll them up, wrap up tight in plastic wrap or foil, put in a gallon freezer bag and in the deep freeze. Avocado is never black and still adds wonderful green and silky goodness!

Comment

Never! I mean never! The guac I make never lasts long enough to freeze.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine gets brown 12 minutes before I make it!

If I had 4 extra avo’s I would eat them breakfast, lunch ‘n dinner!😛

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here