Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling peppers

What are the best peppers for grilling and/or smoking>

Start mild (regular red and yellow peppers). Try Fresnos, poblanos and anaheims. A classic are charred shishitos. Mmm...

Comment

It would be helpful if you gave us more information as it pertains to your question. What peppers do you like?

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. Do you like mild, hot, scorching or just something that gives a good flavor?

I like mamas little bell peppers if you want something sweet. Jalapeños have wide variance in heat in my experience - after 30 min some are nice and some are nuclear. But they are delicious with cream cheese or bacon. If you can get shishito peppers they are wonderful grilled and served with an aioli. All of the big peppers can be roasted and enjoyed hatch, anaheim, bell, ancho. It really depends on what you are in the mood for. 🔥🔥🔥❤️🔥🔥🔥🐿

Comment

If you want to stuff them, I like cubanelles, jalapeños, or hot Hungarian wax peppers. For just grilled peppers, Italian long hots or shishitos/padron peppers.

Comment

Poblanos are my fave. When grilled/toasted they pick up a really nice earthy flavor.

Comment

New Mexico (Hatch) Chile peppers roasted are my favorite. We stock up and freeze them yearly. One of our local grocery stores brings in roasters and roasts them. They are very seasonal but they are the best.

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            This right here. Wish we had stores locally who would roast them! We order directly from New Mexico and roast them on the gasser, typically five lb/2.2 kg at a time, then we peel, de-seed, and chop up into 1/4-cup portions for the freezer. My favorite chile by far.

• JustKyle
            JustKyle commented
            Editing a comment
            DaveD our local store started doing it about 5 years ago and we have stocked up ever since. We usually buy about 30 pounds or so and vacuum seal them to last us the year. If not, we would go and buy bulk and roast ourselves.

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            When I lived in Albuquerque, it was always the signal for "fall is here" when the aroma of roasting hatch chile was everywhere... just love it. 30 pounds!! We could never go through that much in a year, hat's off to ya

Shishito peppers are my grilling favorite. Followed closely by Poblano.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
            Bad Hat BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Shishito peppers...this is new to me ; going to find some & try
            Pablano, & Ancho are my fav

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Bad Hat BBQ If you have any Asian markets that cater to Korean or Japanese, you should be able to get Shishito peppers. A cousin, the Padron pepper from Spain is usually cooked similarly. I spritz them in a little olive oil and either fry them in a cast iron skillet, or grill them over charcoal until you get a little char. Another spritz of olive oil and some course salt and that's it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here