Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kale!

Making kale chips on the Grilla!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	06E44FB3-B031-4C03-AD37-78C101D48E4C.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	1221671

Looks good CandySueQ . I just saw some plants at a Greenhouse this week. I was tempted to get a plant. There's not a lot of Kale Lovers here but in reality it's just a green to mix with other greens IMO.
    Last edited by Skip; May 15, 2022, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeds are much cheaper, but it’s a cold season veggie. My growing kale has gone to flower so it’s about done. This is left over from last weekend’s contest garnish. I seasoned it with extra virgin olive oil and chili lime seasoning. It tastes good!

I'm a big fan of green kale chips. Sounds like the Grilla is the ideal "tool" for this. Lookin' good!

Comment

That's an awesome idea. What temp are you using?

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Started at 350, when the kale was a large pile on the grill mat. Put it in the cooker then turned cooker on. Backed temp to 250 after kale wilted (time of photo above), then let it dry on out. The smoke adds great flavor to the chips!

• das85
        das85 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome - will be giving this a shot - thanks for sharing. Interesting that you loaded them before preheating.. Do you do that with meat too?

(Curious if there's a technique to learn, or if it just happened to be convenient this time!)

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        das85 i do this with meat sometimes to up the smoke kick that can be missing from pellet cooks. Usually ill turn the cooker on, go get the meat that has dry brined in the fridge, throw rub on it if not there already and then stick it in.

The kale, you say...

If Brussels sprouts are the official vegetable of hell, then kale must be the official vegetable of purgatory. The true Devil's Lettuce!
      Last edited by CaptainMike; May 15, 2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Funny you'd think I'd be the last guy to eat kale but I don't mind a good kale salad.

Comment

Big fan of kale. Have not done the chips yet, but I am sure they are good.

Comment

I like the taste, my body says no. Just another thing on my can't eat list.

Comment

Anthony Bourdain said something like kale is misunderstood because most people haven’t had it in stew. I agree

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Dinosaur Kale and Cannelli bean soup with tiny pasta and parmesan cheese rinds, ham chunks if you've got ham. Hard to beat!

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah -- I like Kale cooked into stews and soups. We had a Rachel Ray recipe for riboletta (Italian stale bread soup) that had Kale in it that was fantastic.

I'm kinda fond of Fritos...especially covered in chili, cheese, onions and jalapenos.

Comment

I like my kale with a silent "K". 🍺🍺🍺

Comment

Okay, I apparently need new glasses or a better monitor than this laptop has. Didn't notice that the exclamation mark. Thought it was an l. Was wondering why CandySueQ was posting about Superman. Imagine my surprise.

Comment

Not for me!

Comment

I like kale. Including kale chips, but I don't make them. Because the couple times I did, I put in enough work to cook a meal for 5, and then had a small snack for 1 that was tasty but so unsatisfying that I needed a snack.

Comment

I use Kale in a soup, light broth, spicy sausage, tortellini, and fire roasted diced tomato...super easy super good

The chips look like a much better use !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here