Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mushrooms and onions under the rib roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mushrooms and onions under the rib roast?

I’m just thinking. I usually braise them in butter and serve them on the side. But I don’t think there’s any reason I couldn’t put them in the pan under the roast, either. Except maybe too much fat from the drippings? But I was braising them in butter, so that should be a wash, no?

Oh YUM.

What time are we eating???

Comment

You can certainly do this and it is amazing. Since you are not braising in the true sense, with the meat sitting in the rue, and taking the meat all the way to 202 or so, you might not have enough time in the cook to melt those onions all the way down. Just keep in mind, those onions will cook down completely and disappear in the pot given enough time. I do this weekly for my dutch oven cooks, outside. It imparts an amazing flavor in the meat and the rue, but those onions are no where to be found in the pot. Which is totally fine. and maaaaan is it good.

I would not worry about too much fat. That is not really possible for holiday meals.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        And onion gravy, don't forget this for onion gravy.

I agree with Spinaker that it really helps flavor the meat. In my experience however, everything is going to get melted down and almost to the point to be burnt so it doesn’t make for a very good presentation. I prefer to do it in a pan on the side like you talk about that way you control the degree in which the mushrooms and onions are cooked. Give it a try with a little bit on the side and see what you think.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman "I agree with Spinaker " as you should. To agree with both of you, I do.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; December 24, 2021, 08:58 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here