Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ripe pepper…. It’s a hot one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ripe pepper…. It’s a hot one.

I’d prefer that they all ripen at about the same time, but all the same this makes me happy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FE5CB8BE-68D8-4397-BFC9-05994AC2E5D4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1076995

These are really decent sized habaneros!

The cayenne plant, I’ll probably get close to a pound of peppers from it. They’re all over like string beans. The Tabasco plant will make a decent sized jar of hot sauce. And I’ll be happy with a dozen Carolina reapers, they are at least three weeks behind everything else.

eta: This makes me happy because I tended the family garden growing up, with my dad. He enjoyed it, and I enjoyed doing it, too. Here in NEPA most of our yard is shaded, and what isn’t, the deer claim as theirs. This is the first time I’ve tried growing hot peppers in a pot, and it brings back those memories.

Last edited by Mosca; August 13, 2021, 06:09 PM.

We aren't growing anything this year and it's making me sad. I have some chives, but they are in dire need of being replaced... no peppers this year and of course the jalapeno selection at the store has been subpar so I've been kicking myself

Comment

While were on the subject of peppers, I need a red chili the Italians refer to as pepperoncini. It's long and thin, about 4 in. long and very slender? Any ideas?

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        According to Google, peperoncini translates from Italian to English as chili peppers. This makes sense as the chilies I've always know as peperoncini were about 1.5 inches long, wide, wrinkly, and light green. Do you have a picture of your peperoncini?

Draznnl nl - Here's a screen capture that shows the chilis. Thanks for your help. Click image for larger version  Name:	pepperoncini.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	1077180

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look like cayenne peppers.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca - I think you are right. The problem is finding them in the stores around here. Plenty of dried and fresh Mexican and Caribbean chilies so I guess it's trial and error. I may start off trying a nice ripe serrano. Sometimes I see Fresno's available but not often.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Serrano is comparable.

I ‘m gettin closer to figuring out what to do with these Armageddons. They are rated a tad under Carolina Reapers. These things are unbelievably hot. If I make a sauce I want to be able to tone it down a notch or three. This is all new to me.
      Oh, and my habaneros are almost starting to come in. Another what to do.
      Last edited by FireMan; August 14, 2021, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve made habanero jelly. It’s delicious, and not really very hot if you remove the seeds and white ribbing. That’s most likely what I’ll do with mine. Also, habanero-peach bbq sauce.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I’m going with a sauce with the Armageddons. They are listed as 4+ times hotter than habanero.

My best guess is cayenne. I'd recommend doing a google search on something like "identify chili pepper varieties".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here