Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling onions

I like to grill onions to mix with other grilled veggies, but, frankly, onions are a pain to grill. Onion halves are awkward and can't be browned well on the rounded surfaces. Diced or sliced onions are unruly -- they are hard to flip and brown evenly and burn easily, and you need something like GrillGrates or a griddle or skillet to cook them without falling into the fire.

I saw a tip from Kitchn about Bobby Flay's method recently and tried it last night. I have to say it's a nice solution to the problem of grilling onions --

Remove the loose parts of the brown husk on a whole onion, but leave the unbroken dry husk intact -- don't remove. Slice off and discard the tip of the onion. Slice the onion across the middle into generous slices (3/8 to 1/2 inch / 8-12 mm), leaving the brown husk around each slice. Brush the cut surfaces with oil. Grill until browned and softened to your preference. Use a spatula or tongs to gently flip as needed. Remove the brown husk from around each slice. Serve the slices as-is as a side or dice the cooked onion for use in a dish.

The husk held the onion slice together a lot better than a slice without the husk. The husk on one of my slices split open during grilling so the slice started to fall apart. It was almost done, however, so I babied it through the last few minutes of cooking. The husks on the intact slices slipped off easily after cooking.

https://www.thekitchn.com/bobby-flay...trick-22939816
    Last edited by IowaGirl; August 6, 2021, 07:25 AM.

That’s a good hack, but I generally take small bamboo skewers, cut a whole onion into quarters, skew them through the middle and grill. Sometimes a piece or two falls off but generally speaking they stay in tact. Easy to flip and remove.

Regardless of the method I sure like grilled onions, they are super sweet!!!

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Stephen Raichlen skewers onions a lot on his shows.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Skewers are a good idea. I will be doing that the next time I grill onions.

I skewer up wedges on a kebap skewer, but the ace hack for grilled onions, imho, is knob onions... smaller, but so good on the grill, cut in half, easy to turn, no fall apart, and all that allium goodness. Learned from mexican restaurants here in Chicago:
    Did you know? A knob onion is the teenaged version of those geeky, childish green onions of early spring and the grandmotherly bulb onions of fall. All are tagged with the Latin name of Allium cepa…

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I can only get these from the farmers' market in the summertime, but you're right, they're wonderful on the grill. I halve them and leave on about 3 inches of green stem or so. I wish we could get them in the wintertime.

K.

I for one make small alu foil wraps. Proceed as follows:
    peel the onion. Cut off the top, and then cut straight down the middle, stopping 1/2 inch from The bottom. Do it again, but now move the knife 1/8” to either side, so you get a small wedge.
    Now rotate the onion 90 degrees and repeat.

Stuff the two wedges with butter and curry. Wrap in two layers of alu foil, and place just like baked potatoes straight into the glowing embers and bake for 45-50 minutes. Make sure you keep the onions upright.

Remove, peel away the foil, and enjoy a delicious onion!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I do onions this way but leave them whole in the foil. I must try this. I do love my curries and have many different blends. I suspect you a curry fan as well. I make a fantastic sweet mild curry noodle salad that always recieves compliments and so simple to make.

I bought some stainless steel "BBQ sticks" online. A bundle of 90 is about 20 dollars but it pays to look around because there are several sellers. They are about 12 inches long and .078 (2mm) thick. I can slice onions 1/4 inch thick and run 2 of these through the slices without breaking the onions. I have cut them to different lengths, bent them into hangers for my smoker. I reuse them and so far have had no problems with rust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here