Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon My Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when I thought you couldn't do better than QVQ, you went and did better. Gonna try this, but on the BGE with Alderwood chips. Any thoughts on doing this SV with Cedar House Liquid Smoke. If so, let e know changes you would make. Thanks!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great question but I've never done something like this with fish sous vide. Fish cooks so quickly on its own and takes on a light smoke so well, straight smoking is the only way to go for me. Ain't broke, you know the rest !!!

• OmegaDog12
      OmegaDog12 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, I'm gonna listen. I'll take the advice of that guy named Meathead and follow the recipe exactly the first time, then experiment with changes and thanks!

That looks simply amazing! Thanks!!

Comment

Looks great, again!

Comment

Can I get a picture of Tony C’s so I know what to look for at the store? Thank you.
        Great looking salmon!!
        Last edited by Randy-Phx; October 21, 2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3139E07E-CA96-4D0A-88B1-D33A6493E988.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	759511

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            There you go Randy-Phx

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you.

Originally posted by OmegaDog12 View Post
          Just when I thought you couldn't do better than QVQ, you went and did better. Gonna try this, but on the BGE with Alderwood chips. Any thoughts on doing this SV with Cedar House Liquid Smoke. If so, let e know changes you would make. Thanks!
          I have done salmon Sous Vide with liquid smoke. Kenji is a big fan of Sous Vide salmon. I honestly didn’t care for the texture. You may love it.

I do like other fish Sous Vide. I’ve done Tuna and Halibut that way. I like to put a white wine sauce on it, made with minced shallot, minced garlic, and fresh lemon juice.

Comment

Troutman does your plank actually start to smoke? I've just got in to kettle bbq and using my kettle to smoke meats and you have to have some combustion to get the smoke going. We normally do cedar plank salmon on a gas grill and the planks do ignite and do pass on the cedar some flavor and its a great combo with a sugar and soy based marinade. I almost flambe my fillets on the planks. I've set off the fire alarm in the dining room when I bring them in.

I want to try to cook them on my kettle now. I might just add cedar chunks to the coals and do an indirect, reverse sear maybe. I am not seeing the point in using a plank under a fillet to get what I'm after. Gas grill yes to a plank. A charcoal kettle, not seeing it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Not for me
              No Plank you

First welcome big_mack we hope you enjoy the site and decide to join us. My wife is from Red Deer so I'm most familiar with the beauty of Alberta.

My reason for cedar planks is simple, they insulate the fish from the direct heat. They are simply a cooking platform. You may get some minor benefit from the char smoke that comes off them but it's not enough. Most of your smoke needs to come from the combustion of the heat source (gas, charcoal, wood).

That said, are you soaking your planks for a couple of hours at least? It sounds like you're burning them up too quickly. Soak more. Also you should have them on the indirect side of your cooker. Don't put the plank directly over your heat source. Fish cooks very quickly, there's no reason to burn up your plank if you follow those simple steps. I've gotten two or three uses out of my planks over time.

Now another alternative you may want to try is cooking on grilling mats. Look on Amazon or other online sources there are dozens to choose from. They help disperse the heat and are almost completely non-stick. You can take it one step further and lay down a bed of lemon slices which further insulate the fish and add great flavor. Again keep the mats away from the heat source and cook indirect.

Fish is super easy to cook if you follow a few basic steps. It's not like other proteins that need time to break down. Hope this helps, give it a try and let us know how you did !!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I did do some guided fly fishing on the Bow back in the mid-1990s. After that I moved my wife down here to Texas where we've resided for the past 25 years. The Troutman moniker comes from my fishing for Sea Trout in the Texas bay system, totally different species.

Good luck with your salmon cooking and again, let us know how you did !!

• big_mack
              big_mack commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman. My brother lives in Tampa on Davis Island on a canal and fishes on a regular basis every week and has caught a lot of sea trout. I'm hoping to bring back some fresh spring and coho salmon from the coast in early September for the bbq. Will post something on that later.

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Hey Troutman, have you ever posted up your favorite Sea Trout recipe? I have a bayou full of Sea Trout out back!

I am gonna give this a go. I have some Sockeye in the freezer and I was just waiting for an easy reason to cook it up.

Thanks Troutman!

Comment

smokenoob Troutman Trucking Company. You call we haul. If we can't truck it....well cook it !!! Yup I've done several write ups here on how I do Reds, Snapper, Flounder and of course Specks !! Generally I stuff them with a bread stuffing using either shrimp, crabmeat or oysters (or a combo). Then smoke until flaky. Killer restaurant quality results. Here's some examples and a step-by-step writeup, I pretty much take the same approach while varying the stuffing proteins.

Fish Tales

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Fish 01.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1068114Click image for larger version

Name:	ready.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1068115Click image for larger version

Name:	redfish 04.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1068116Click image for larger version

Name:	trout 04.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	1068117

I can get you into doing more advanced presentations like Pontchartrian sauces but keeping fish simple, even if it's a little dill, olive oil and smoke, can be delicious !! Let me know how you end up doing yours. Oh and if you want, you can ship them over to me and I'll precook them for you

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet! Thanks Tman!

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks Grand!

• zzdocxx
                zzdocxx commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice.

This sounds awesome. Next time I see some miso will be getting it to give this a try. Love doing salmon on the smoker!

Comment

Yeah, this is a keeper. I made a few minor changes, but basically did this recipe.

First off, some Copper River sockeye was the fish.

Instead of brown sugar, which I didn't have, I used some mirin along with the light soy and awase miso (a mix of red and white).

Smoked it on my Smokey Joe with cowboy lump and small bits of apple wood for smoke. It was a pretty hot fire (salmon done in 20 mins) and it tasted great.

Wine - 2019 Erath Pinot Noir Rosé.

No pics because I was hungry.
                Last edited by rickgregory; July 29, 2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Troutman glad I came across this today even though it’s an older post. I’m flying the wife and son along with my parents to Anchorage on Tuesday for two weeks of running around Southern Alaska chasing down salmon in a rental RV.

Come early next Thursday morning, we’ll be in Soldotna on a guided drift boat floating down the Kenai River with fly rods in hand. And, if things go well, come next Friday or Saturday, we’ll be ready to give this a try!

Just have to figure out how to convince Delta that a pellet grill counts as a "personal item" for carry-on…

Thanks for the original post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here