Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has smoked octopus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has smoked octopus?

I've found a lot of grilled octopus recipes on the net, but not many smoked. Most I've seen are cold smoked, which I don't want to do. Anyone have a recipe they'll share?

I do not, but grilled is amazing. I hope someone chimes in with a recipe because I would be open to trying it. But I wonder if the flesh is too delicate, but we will see what people say. Thanks for posting this one.

Comment

Love me some octopus and squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Split the ends of some hot dogs today and grilled them over 2 Slow 'n Sears in the 26"er. Some resembled Octopi/Octopuses/Octopodes.

Bout as close as I will ever get.

I think smoking them would be like trying to smoke a 1/4" thick sirloin.

Comment

Given how chewy/rubbery octopus is, I would be tempted to experiment with a long, low-temp cook time to make it more tender, similar to what we do with pork butt and brisket. I would probably wrap in foil relatively early on to prevent too much smoke flavor, maybe add a bit of lemon juice and soy sauce, and even a few drops of sesame seed oil, at the same time. Spice? I would think ginger or curry (SMALL amounts) might work.

This is just pure speculation since I've never done it.

Comment

I've only grilled. I'm curious to see what you come up with though. Make sure to post pics if you try it.

Comment

If smoking it doen't work, try drying out like jerky. I had that overseas, and it was awesome!

Comment

It's apparently amazing when done sous-vide. 170-180, 2-10 hours... which is weird on many levels. I would go with the low end there on temp and depending on the thickness, 2-5 hours.

Then, shock, chill, smoke to temp... problem solved.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The thing they say about octopus and squid is either cook it real quick (eg grill it), or long and slow (we've pressure cooked it around an hour). In between is tough. So boftx is likely on the right track - I'm guessing too!

• T-bone
                  T-bone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on what Potkettleblack said...
                  This was the method I was thinking of to try and get smoke on the octopus without over cooking it and making it rubbery. Just a guess, I've never actually tried it. Octopus is on my list of things to SV soon.

When ever I go to the coast I stop by a little shop that does smoked Octopus. It is amazing, very tender and tastes like smoked halibut or sturgeon. One of my favorite treats

Comment

Smoke that sucker!!!

Comment

It's on the list, guys. Might be a few weeks, though. Too much going on in May.
                    Sounds like an experiment, but boftx is thinking along the same lines as I am. The foil is a great idea. I'm thinking maybe a little bit of vinegar for the acid instead of lemon, but I like the soy sauce idea.

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the shout out! I would consider rice wine vinegar if you go that route, maybe use both lemon and that. Thinking about this a bit more I might add a touch of butter, as well, to balance the acid.

All I have to offer is: Keep a backup meal on standby.

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Naw, you cook it, you eat, and hope the dogs don't walk away from it.

They're waiting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	waiting_for_the_cookman.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	313790

Comment

Put some spicy sauce on some rubber bands and you might save some money.🤑 I've never had octopus that I enjoyed eating.😏

Comment

Oh, I've had grilled. So good you can't believe it. I've only ordered pizza as a backup once in my life.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here