Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Sturgeon- 5lbs in the fridge!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Sturgeon- 5lbs in the fridge!!

Inspired by an amazing restaurant meal, I ordered 5 lbs. of sturgeon on-line (apparently nowhere to buy sturgeon in San Diego) and almond wood (the restaurant used it). Now not sure how to proceed. Any ideas for smoked sturgeon?

I'm just guessing here, but I imagine any of the recipes on the site for smoked salmon (or other fish) would work. Main consideration would be smoke time based on the thickness of the pieces.

That's been my experience with salmon, whiting, mackerel.

Comment

Never smoked sturgeon. I'm sure it's different from salmon, but how different I am really clueless. I do know it's very very popular in some areas. All I can really do is share with you a couple smoked salmon recipes that come to mind, there's Meathead's recipe and my personal recipe. Again, I'm not sure how these recipes would fare with sturgeon, but I would suspect just fine.

Comment

I have smoked Sturgeon, also black Sable, both were outstanding, I dry-brined both 24 hrs , 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup organic white sugar, fresh pestle ground black peppercorns (1tbls) lay film on bottom of a sheet pan then foil enough to cover fish when done. Cover bottom of film with brine, lay skin side down,cover flesh with brine, if you have more than one fillet put second fillet flesh side on top of first fillet, cover skin of second fillet with brine, wrap tight.
        Put fish on a sheet pan cover with second sheet pan, put two bricks on top to weight down the fish, rotate the fish in 12 hrs. You will draw water from fish, after 24 hrs uncover and rinse off fish, pat dry let fish dry for approx 3 hrs until sticky to touch. Do not dry in refrigerator. Smoke to temp of 135, I use my electric smoke shack. The brine recipe will do two average size fillets.The foil goes down first then film, use enough to wrap the fish
        Last edited by GBA; September 2, 2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here