Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee's Smoked Salmon

I've used this recipe since before I knew Meathead & AmazingRibs.com. I devised it from a recipe from a friend who made the best I had ever had. I haven't posted this until now because it's very similar to Meathead's Schmancy Smoked Salmon recipe (great minds!) A couple key differences though.

Brine:
    2 qts (1/2 gal) cold clean water
    2 C brown sugar (1 C will do if 2 sounds excessive to you)
    1/2 Tbsp (1.5 tsp) garlic powder
    1/2 Tbsp (1.5 tsp) onion powder
    1/2 C lemon juice
    1/2 C table salt
    (Notice, no pepper in mine!)

Stir until the salt & sugar is dissolved.

Fillet prep:
    I like to skin my salmon, removing all skin and all brown meat when possible. I feel skinning them helps get more salt & seasonings into the meat, but more importantly allows another side for smoke and the brown sugar coating Hint: If you're using frozen salmon, once they're par-thawed they're easier to skin compared to fully thawed.

I like to cut the fillets into 3-5" pieces.

Soak:
    Brine for roughly 3-6 hrs, or overnight is ok if using thick fillets. *Note, I use thick salmon fillets, a good 1" to 1.5" in the thick parts. If you use thinner salmon fillets, cut the brine time. But don't worry, this brine won't make it *salty* for most tastes. If you prefer it salty, brine overnight even if using thinner fillets.

Remove from brine and pat dry with paper towel.

Important:
    This recipe calls for adding a crumble of brown sugar to both sides of each chunk as you're ready to smoke them. (Yes, I know there was sugar in the brine.) Please don't skip this, at least not the first time, it's crucial for balancing the flavors. Some will drip off during the cook, that's just how it goes. Be generous with the brown sugar on the top sides. Trust me.

Smoke:
    Smoke at 200 degrees (no higher), indirectly, for ~3 or 4 hrs, give or take, until the meat hits 140-145 in the thicker parts. Thinner pieces and ends will be done quicker, so check thin pieces earlier.

I like to use a mild wood like apple for salmon, it's my favorite. Alder is traditionally very popular with smoked salmon too. I don't think you can go wrong with any fruit wood to be honest. If you're using a pellet cooker, any pellets will work since they're all relatively mild.

Note: I HIGHLY recommend putting it in the fridge overnight and try it tomorrow, cold. Or near room temp with cheese and crackers and a nice white wine. Fresh from the smoker is a bit bitter, it needs to chill.

As always, if you try this report back with comments or critiques!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5281 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.4 KB ID:	912205Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5282 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	229.2 KB ID:	912206Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5291 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	238.8 KB ID:	912207

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1051.jpg Views:	60 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	207844

(I hope to get some better up close shots soon!)

The brown sugar forms a glaze and it's hard to tell if it's dinner or dessert!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3419.jpg Views:	41 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	207843

Thanks Huskee I have never had smoked grilled salmon before but been wanting to try it. Your recipe will be the one I will do.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I await your honest feedback, I know you'll give it to me straight!

Smoked salmon sounds really good. Hope to try it soon. Thanks for your recipe.

Comment

Very timely, it's wild salmon season right now, one of the world's best overall foods!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never had the privilege of smoking fresh caught wild salmon, it's gotta be da bomb. The few times my salmon trips were successful we just grilled it direct w/ salt & pepper. Delicious for sure.

I can vouch for this approach! Very similar technique to what I have done for over 40 years. I've done about 50# a year for the last 10. No complaints yet. Do NOT scrimp on the brown sugar!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG
Views:	953
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	207776 Huskee, sounds great. Instead of the brown sugar I baste mine with pure maple syrup about a half hour before its done on both sides and turns out fantastic!
      Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 11, 2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have to try the maple syrup.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny, My kids & wife want me to make some with agave nectar and honey. Can't go wrong!

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, yeah you can't go wrong, above is a pic from last year. A friends Dad always gave them a coat of molasses when he made them in a little chief smoker.

Huskee. Since you skin your filets on both sides, I assume you are not cooking on a paper bag like Meathead. Do you place yours directly on the grill? Any issues with sticking?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct, straight on the grates. I find doubling the meat surface only helps for the better with the 'bark' and seasoning. No issues with it sticking. Like a hamburger patty, just don't move them unnecessarily, wait until they're cooked a ways and they'll slide around freely.

What happens if you smoke the fish for significantly longer ? Will it become more tender (like butter) or will it become tough?
      Thanks, Joerg

Comment

Originally posted by Jmayerdvm View Post
        What happens if you smoke the fish for significantly longer ? Will it become more tender (like butter) or will it become tough?
        Thanks, Joerg
        Welcome to the Pit jmayerdvm! I think it will dry out and toughen. It's bound to happen with the thinner end pieces some, just like thin ends of a brisket. But as long as you pay attention to their doneness (easiest way is an instant read thermometer) you should be good. Slicing the fillets into 3-5" chunks helps too, then you can make each chunk fairly uniform, and pull the thinner ones off earlier.

Comment

Hi Huskee,
          thanks for the quick reply. A while ago I put a whole mackerel on the BGE and smoked it low and slow for a whole night. The result was amazing, it was basically like butter and I could just spread it on bread and eat it like that. Was I a bit lucky or was that only possible with mackerel as it is a much fattier fish?
          Cheers, Joerg

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I know they're high in oils and omega 3s, perhaps that lends well to extended low temp smoking. How much compared to salmon, which is also oily, not sure. I know thick salmon fillets hold up very well to a much lower smoke temp w/ 6hr cook and stays plenty moist.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, we'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa Many thanks!

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably related to the fat content. The "tender like butter" comment sounds a lot like smoked lake trout which is much higher fat content than salmon.
            Last edited by HorseDoctor; August 15, 2016, 09:10 AM. Reason: typo

I've added this to the notebook I'm putting together with tips and stuff from here. We're getting a salmon fillet this weekend. These are wild, shipped in from Alaska. We'll be getting one a week while they're available (they freeze well). I also have some in the chest freezer that I brought home from Alaska years ago (yes, I lugged two whole fish home then broke them down when I got home). I'm hoping some smoke will hide any freezer burn.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Are you going to try a mulberry chunk??

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably. I'm gonna wait to do a salmon until after I've gotten smoking to where it's good consistently. Hopefully I'm a quick study.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I see this! I just put this recipe on the WSM with Alder pellets! AND I HAVE MULBERRY!

I've fished for salmon and halibut in Alaska a few times. The fish we brought back paid for the trip. I saw this news story today and thought this is as good a spot to post it as any, even though it is not salmon. This is the region I fished, too, but I was never this lucky:

Never got much over 100#

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! I wodner what market value of that would be. Halibut is some amazing eating fish.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Around here halibut used to go for about $20/#. I'll look again next time I'm in the store.
            #helluvafish
            Must have been a great fight!

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW that makes the ones I saw them hauling off the boats in Seward, AK look small (and they were bigger than the fishermen).

Seven or 8 years ago, before the commercial fleet lobbyists made it illegal for a non-resident fishing with a guide to keep a halibut over about 45#-50#, I caught a 229# halibut (near Petersburg). The flavor was great, but the texture was a bit "coarse" for lack of a better word. Have since caught a few close to that size but can't keep them. Don't get me started on the politics of halibut fishing!!! Actually the smaller "chicken halibut" (20#-40#) are the best eating. Probably called chicken halibut because they are so mild flavored that they taste just like whatever you put on them, much the same as chicken! A year ago my wife & I brought back about 75# of halibut (along with 150# of salmon) from a week's fishing trip to that area. A pricey trip for sure, but at $25/lb for halibut in the store, it's a bit easier to justify. Almost given up on eating walleye! Still have some halibut in the freezer and scheduled to go back in 2 weeks!!! Life is good!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            The few times I've had halibut (from my BIL who went on a fishing trip to AK) I thought it was the single best fish I'd ever put in my mouth. And yep, expensive!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            A little late, HorseDoctor , but how was your trip?

• Northside Brian
            Northside Brian commented
            Editing a comment
            Every time I go back and see family in MN, I have 2 or 3 restaurants I go to for their walleye. One even has walleye oysters (cheeks). OMG!!

#jealous, HorseDoctor !

We stayed just south of Petersburg in the Wrangell Narrows @Islad Point lodge. Fished the narrows and Sumner Straight/Blind Slough/Dumcan Canal areas mostly. LOVED it! When we went, each license could catch and keep 2 buts a day any size and six of each kind of salmon. Stopped going when the catch limits got so restrictive.

You are so right about the 20-40# buts. GREAT steaks.

Have a GREAT trip - and good luck! Fairs winds and following seas!

Comment

Huskee - that looks amazing! On our trips to New Brunswick, CAN, we buy something like this (maple flavored) at the supermarket to nosh on at Happy Hour - going to get a WSM on our trip in Sept and try this!! 😀

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! I sure hope you like it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here