Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood grilled tuna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood grilled tuna

So, I have continued my wood (only) grilling session, this time with tuna. I'm using birch wood. This time I waited longer for the flames to die out. There was a real nice glow to the fire, with plenty of heat. I wanted direct grilling only, no smoke this time.

Starting the fire

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7215.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	196893

Getting ready to cook

Name:	IMG_7218.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	196894

I was really trying to balance the various flavors on the plate. For tuna I m
    ade a dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, finely chopped parsley and capers. It goes really well with fish. I applied the dressing just like you do with a board sauce for meat. Same great concept.

To balance the tangy flavors from the tuna dressing I browned plenty of butter and spooned it over some Fettucine (pasta). The browned butter together with the pasta gives you a smooth sweetness that works well with the tuna.

I also grilled broccoli over the wood fire while at it. I like slicing them lengthwise to use the whole stem and not just the bouquetes.

I placed the tuna slightly offset so it wouldn't get burnt too soon. I flipped it every two minutes and moved it closer over the direct heat as it was reaching target temp (38° C / 100° F).

Grillin' tuna

Name:	IMG_7220.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	196896

The plate being served

Name:	IMG_7225.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	196895

Nice cook Henrik and nice pics

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Means a lot coming from a Lang owner. I am considering getting a stick burner, and know you're really happy with yours. Is it insulated insulated in any way, or just with thick walls?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Just 1/4" wall

Great cook Henrik, and photos. Love the ones with the flames - they remind me of the fires my father and grandfather built many many years ago to smoke pork shoulders over hot coals.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Smoke pork, I love the sound of that, sounds like great memories to have.

I bet that was some stellar tuna. Love wood.

Comment

Looking wonderful Henrik! I have to try roasted broccoli. I have done asparagus, but never broccoli. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Grilled broccoli is great. If you place them like the dials on a watch (radially, that's what I do), then make sure you have the stems inward, that way you don't burn the bouquets right away.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here