Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick burning Flat Iron Steak in a small Weber kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick burning Flat Iron Steak in a small Weber kettle

I'm currently in the middle of Sweden, in the woods, and there was a small
    Weber kettle (47 cm, or 18.5 in) available. I only had 8 briquettes, but plenty of fire wood, so it was time for some stick burning!

To create a direct and an indirect zone I used a large rock to act as a divider. Not exactly high-tech, but it worked very well.

I lit the briquettes up, and when they were fully ashed over I added the birch wood, 3-4 to begin with, then more. I adjusted temp with the lid, and placed the flat iron steaks on the indirect side.

It was fun regulating temp with wood only, and the flavor was good. Once they hit 115° F I removed the lid and stoked the fire.

Once it was hot I seared them properly, then let them rest for 10 minutes.

After that I sliced and served them. The result was really good, both due to the stick burning, as well as the quality of the meat. Flat iron steak is kind of like flank steak, but it has better marbling and the muscle fibers are much finer. I can highly recommend it.

Getting the fire started, waiting for the wood to char:

Click image for larger version

Name:	flatironsteak1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	196234

Putting the flat iron steaks (far left) and sirloin steaks on the grate

Name:	flatironsteak2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	196236

And here's the final product, pretty darn good

Name:	flatironsteak.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	196235

Very succulent and tasty meat, and I will continue my stick burning experiments :-)

Cool stuff man! Love it. Yep the recognizable lightning bolt marbling is the hallmark of the flat iron. If you can find that in roasts, it makes EXCELLENT pulled beef- better than, or at least as good as, chuck IMO.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, Huskee. Thanks.

Great utilization of what ya got handy and looks like an awesome end result! Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice (and clever) job, Henrik. Sounds like you're enjoying some down time at the hytte? (not sure if the Swedish word is the same)

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Almost the same, it is "hydda" although we use the word "stuga" (hut) in Sweden. And yes, enjoying a few weeks of down time indeed.

Outstanding Henrik! Got any sides with that?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed. Boiled taters, broccoli, a sauce I made from cooking cream, fried ham (for the saltiness and fat) and onion. Made a salad with mozarella too, so there was plenty of food for all.

Wow, that sure beats a frozen microwave pizza on a black skillet.

Comment

Great creativity there! What is the flavor of birch wood like? Is it noticeable?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          It is def noticeable, but I would describe it as very plain. It doesn't stand out in any way. I guess neutral is another way of describing it. Will use it again.

Way to adapt and overcome, Henrik !!

GREAT job!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Well, you all know how it is; if you have the itch... ;-)

Way to get the job done Henrik .

Comment

Geez, that steak looks delicious, Henrik . Maybe we all should try turning our Webers into stickburners.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, and yes, let's! :-)

• Fine Swine
            Fine Swine commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that idea!

Looks great Henrik

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here