Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuna Steak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Ah. So still fast sear just a bit longer to get the higher internal. Honestly, I did not see that coming. I was expecting the method to change. I'm just dense. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Heretic View Post
      Gun to my head what is the best method for getting the fish to a well done interior without it getting it too tough and dry?
      For a truly heretical suggestion: sous vide to your well done target temp then sear quickly. If you don't have a fancy circulator, just use the stove top method as described at chefsteps.com:

      In the past few years, sous vide cooking—already ubiquitous in fine-dining restaurants—has gained a foothold in home kitchens as well. That’s thanks to newly affordable equipment and cameos on TV shows like The Simpsons and Adventure Time, along with the publication of groundbreaking works such as the Modernist Cuisine series and Thomas Keller’s Under Pressure.But despite the technique’s rocketing popularity, it’s still plagued by many a misconception. Below, we debunk five common myths surrounding sous vide. Ready to get started? Buy Joule, the smallest, most powerful sous vide tool on the market today. Oh, and you’ll find plenty of easy recipes, tips, and techniques in our free class, Cooking Sous Vide: Getting Started.Before we get into some of the more common untruths surrounding sous vide, let’s clear something up: sous vide does not mean boiling food in a bag. Common boil-in-a-bag foods, like packaged rice and ready-made Indian dishes, involve bringing water to a boil and then placing the vacuum-packed food in the water to heat it. With sous vide, however, the point is to cook food gently, well below the boiling point. We’re heating water precisely to a temperature that matches the food’s ideal internal temperature—never any hotter, and certainly never to boiling! The idea that sous vide means boiling food in a bag is a persistent misconception and source of confusion, but—tell your friends and neighbors—it’s just not true.

      Comment


        #18
        I"m going to make some Ahi tacos tonight. Not sure what rub I'll use yet, but my thought is cutting the chunk I bought into 1.5" steaks and searing them on my gasser w/grill grates. Any thoughts on a rub?
        BB

        Comment


          #19
          I do my Tuna steaks and Swordfish on the kettle w/ slow n sear at 225. I use oak and smoke them for 25 minutes give or take till they are up to temp. I just use salt and a little garlic powder on them and then do a coarse black pepper crust on the tuna.
          Last edited by jkwagner; June 29, 2016, 02:42 PM.

          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7