Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuna Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuna Steak

My family just came up with their latest challenge,Tuna Steak. Does anyone have any truth to speak on the subject? I told them I would consult my cult leaders and see what they say.

Looking for a tested method and or recipe that someone likes. I was thinking this would go down like a steak. Lowish temp until desired internal reached with fast sear at the end.
    Last edited by Heretic; June 1, 2016, 06:33 PM.

I say tuna steak is best served rare....I know, even if you're not a 'rare meat' kinda person, it's still best rare. That is a front sear at ~2 min per side, roughly. Flip and sear until an IT of 125 is reached. Cooking tuna steak above rare is akin to cooking a thick ribeye to well done.

Dry brine an hour or two, some pepper, some sesame seeds, light coating of EVOO (there are a hundred more involved tuna steak rubs/marinades you could use).

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +1^ Huskee ... Just a very quick sear on the outside, almost raw is the proper cook for tuna steaks.👍

Hmm. Thanks Huskee. I'm game for rare the wife won't go for it. She tried a blackened tuna steak sandwich and liked it. That makes it the first peice of seafood she has ever enjoyed. So, I'm trying to take advantage of the idea I could have fish at home for once. I may have mine your way and just have to "burn" hers just to make her happy.
    Last edited by Heretic; June 2, 2016, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Just tell her the pink is the smoke ring Well, what matters most is who's at the table. Do it the way they like it and everyone will be happy. Just don't buy really expensive tuna if you're cooking it past rare!
      Last edited by Huskee; June 1, 2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee is absolutely correct. If you are doing rare, get ahi grade tuna. If you are killing it for someone, get a lesser grade. For me there is nothing better than a rare tuna, served with a good soy based dipping sauce. Crazy good! Even my wife, who does not like rare anything, loves this!

Check out the afterburner method using a starter chimney full of hot briquettes with a grill grate on top. I imagine an SnS might be able to produce very similar results.

Comment

I agree with Huskee and MBMorgan here. Tuna is done hot 'n fast. It really must be pink(ish) in the middle. I would even take it before 125, 110° F actually. I've done tuna steak many times, and recently, so I vouch for that number. But again, please your 'customer', cook hers a bit hotter.

Either way, just as with a regular steak, make sure you rest it for a few minutes before serving. This (the resting part) is where a board sauce comes into play. It goes exceptionally well with tuna. Mix some good olive oil with herbs (lemon zest and capers for example), rest the meat in the board sauce, then serve.

Comment

How many recipes do you want, as I cook tuna for a living. I got a million of 'em! I'll give you a couple easy ones: 1. Just crust the outside with black pepper(no salt, trust me on this). Sear over a hot flame for 1-2 minutes per side maximum. Slice and serve with sweet soy reduction(1 cup soy, 3 cups sugar,or honey, simmered low for 20 minutes on the stove and cooled). Blackened: Use your favorite cajun spice to crust the outside, then spray with a bit of cooking spray, then sear under the same conditions described for the black pepper thing. This one needs no sauce, as the cajun spice is full flavored enough to flavor most sides, if necessary. If you need any more ideas to help in your meal planning, i.e., to match your choice of sides and house sensibilities, let me know. I'll help in any way I can.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            That is what I was thinking. Thank you!

• Heretic
            Heretic commented
            Editing a comment
            Strat50 Sounds good. If you cook it for a living I will take it to the bank. Let's say I go the Cajun route, suggested sides to go well? Maybe a wine pairing.

Thanks!

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            For wine, something white that is not too dry. For sides, rice(yellow, pilaf, etc.), cheese grits, roasted potatoes. Your sides should not be too spicy, and should be fairly rich to stand up to the umami of tuna.

Wow! Thanks guys. I think that pretty much tears it for me. I think that my son and I will have to go for the Ahi, hot and fast method with like a soy ginger sauce (I love that kind of stuff). As for the wife I need to stick to familiar turf (surf?). I once had a Cajun blackened tuna steak burger. It was sports bar food but it was very good. It was fully cooked but I am also certain that it was marinated first.

You guys gave me plenty to go on for the rare options. I might have to try them all.

How about the burger though? Marinade? If I am shooting for a more well done fish how should the method be adjusted? Would I then go for a lower temp longer with sear at the end? Or hot and fast indirect with sear at then end?

Thank you all for the input.

Comment

Ahi tuna will.dry out even faster than chicken breast, IMHO. Be really careful.

Comment

i had tuna that was cooked just slightly too long and it dried out completely and it was inedible for me. i'd rather have dry chicken than dry tuna. you gotta be careful of that

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly!

Okay, here's a special we are running at work for lunch: Pacific Club Sandwich. Toasted soft Kaiser roll, Garlic siracha aioli, romaine lettuce, tomato, seared Ahi, teriyaki bacon, gruyere cheese on request, and last but not least: smoked avocado. The ahi is seared with black pepper, then sliced, by the way.

So, if any of you happen to be in Wasilla Alaska, hit my buddy Jesse up for this sammie. Evangelo's Restaurant. Jesse and I take bbq sensibilities and just blow 'em up to make cool stuff.

Comment

• martybartram
                martybartram commented
                Editing a comment
                My girls just missed this! They drove up from Anchorage to North Pole (where they live) on Tuesday. Next time I go to visit we will be sure to stop in. Until then, care to share the garlic sriracha aioli recipe?

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't give away a proprietary recipe without permission. However, just find a good, egg based garlic aioli recipe(NOT a mayo based one), make it, then add siracha to taste.Easy peasy.

• Heretic
                Heretic commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang that sounds good.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I say tuna steak is best served rare....I know, even if you're not a 'rare meat' kinda person, it's still best rare. That is a front sear at ~2 min per side, roughly. Flip and sear until an IT of 125 is reached. Cooking tuna steak above rare is akin to cooking a thick ribeye to well done.

Dry brine an hour or two, some pepper, some sesame seeds, light coating of EVOO (there are a hundred more involved tuna steak rubs/marinades you could use).
              I used this and it works well!

Comment

Here's my recipe: http://markiscooking.com/?p=10 Soy/ginger/wasabi/citrus seared ahi.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yum, thanks for sharing

So, I am still in a bit of a bind. The wife will only take her fish with no red or pink in the center. That part is a foregone conclusion. I will get a lesser grade of fish for this. I totally understand. If someone in my house ordered their Prime Rib eye well done I would slowly remove my white glove one finger at a time and then slap them across the cheek with it. Seeing as this is my wife I think I will just cook the fish her way.

I have had one cooked that way before. It was well done and the texture was about that of a nice pork chop. It was about 1/2" thick, dense and meaty all the way through but it was not tough or overly dry. We both liked it.

So, the question remains.

Gun to my head what is the best method for getting the fish to a well done interior without it getting it too tough and dry?

Comment

• badf00d
                  badf00d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sous vide.

Heretic Take it to 140-145, that's the USDA's recommended temp, that's well done for most fish. You'll probably have to be quick on the draw with your ThermoPop so as not to dry it to oblivion by going beyond that unnecessarily. Might be, I'm guessing here, 5-6 min per side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here