Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody eat canned sardines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody eat canned sardines?

I usually eat the King Arthur from Walmart. Any of you ever tried any of the “premium” brands available online? I wonder if they are worth the extra $$$.

We eat a lot of sardines as they are great cocktail hour snacks or an easy quick lunch. Never tried any “ Fancy “ ones as never wished they were better. Im a real fan of both the tomato sauce and the mustard sauce ones as well as the plain olive oil.
    Last edited by CHNeal; November 10, 2022, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Yes, I love them. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Great on cocktail rye bread as a snack. I like the tomato or mustard sauced. Usually whatever is available at the grocery store.

Comment

No, too hard to remove all of them bones.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          You just need a smaller fillet knife.

No. Just no

Comment

Usually throw some in the fishing vest for a snack while out for the day stream fishing. Smoked oysters as well. No particular brand.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the smoked oysters

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            LOVE smoked oysters in a can! I also love sardines. Mustard sauce for me.

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            +2 on smoked oysters. I eat them every other week for lunch,

Yes!!! If you have a chance try Nuri. They are canned in Portugal & everything in the process is straight from the ‘20s when they opened, hand packed. There is a video on their business. They are expensive, but well worth it, the primo of sardines. They also have a can that has a small pepper in it, nice kick. And, the sardines are of a hefty size than any of the store bought I’ve had.

Comment

I like umami, but not quite that much umami. My wife on the other hand eats the heck out of them.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Treat her with Nuri hoov.

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Going on Amazon for that right now FireMan

I remember taking a trip with some friends as broke college kids. We spent all of our money splitting a motel room 6 ways and buying beer, so we ate nothing but sardines and Vienna sausages on saltines for like 5 days. I didn’t eat them for years after that.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Been there, done that. 🤣🙄

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              Used to eat sardines on saltines with my dad.

'SEASON' brand. Costco Had them really inexpensive. They have since dbl in cost. Big Dawgs. Like four in a can. Grabbed as many as I could w/o Kim calling it MCS. Product of Morocco. (Sardines, olive oil n salt) skinless n boneless
            HawkerXP
            Last edited by Alan Brice; November 10, 2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

+ 1 on the smoked oysters and don’t pass up the canned herring as well.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Pickled herring
                Herring in sour cream sauce
                Oh yes…….

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Kippers!

I actually prefer the King Arthur sardines in olive oil. I've tried some of the supposedly better brands and found them meh at best and not worth the trouble or cost. Love sardines them on Ritz crackers or grilled rye toast.

Comment

Love some mustard sardines! Also the smoked in oil ones, and hot sauce ones. I usually get Bumble Bee or any regular store brand. Never tried the fancy ones.

Comment

Love ‘em on saltines. No particular brand.

Comment

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, me too. Growing up my mother ate them. Got me eating them too. Wife (and kids) won’t touch them.

Those fall into the category of “not food” for me. I can’t even be in a room with an opened can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here