Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need canned tuna ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need canned tuna ideas

Trying to get more fish into my diet.
    canned tuna is something I can take for lunch.
    Who has creative ways to prepare that don't include mayo.
    ...and go

I enjoy both the canned tuna and canned salmon for lunch regularly. The absence of the mayo can make it a bit tricky but still doable. I have prepared both in similar fashion to the styles of sardines and herring I enjoy.
    Mixed with a bit of olive oil and tomato sauce, w/ oil and mustard as well. Also just a bit of oil and herbs is nice as well.
    I also like both with just a sprinkle of Webers citrus and garlic seasoning.

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      I had not considered either tomato sauce or mustard...
      Definitely on the list to try.

1. Olive oil and lemon instead of mayo for tuna salad. 2. Mint leaves, tomatoes, tuna, and capers over pasta. 3. Scrambled eggs with tuna and biscuits.

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Have done olive oil. That's good.
      Honestly, I've eaten it straight from the can in a pinch before, or with just course ground black pepper.

Not sure why I didnt think of pasta, as many people, my sister included, add tuna to macaroni salad. I could just change the ratio to make it tuna salad over pasta
      Not so sure about tuna with eggs. Doesn't sound very appealing, but I'll give it a try before completely dismissing it

a squirt or three of some store-bought salad dressing vinaigrette, since you're going to put the tuna on a bed of lettuce anyway.

Comment

Well ... there's THIS.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Finster - Here’s an example of good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008S...b_b_asin_title

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Cento is a good brand as well and might be available at your local grocer. I never thought there was a difference until I made MB's tuna puttanesca with the Callipo tuna. I'll never eat off the shelf, cat fude smellin' tuna again.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike
        I'll look for the Cento.
        I think that brand has it's own little section of all their products in one area at the local grocery. Never noticed if they have tuna, but I'll check

My wife found some tuna packaged in foil packs where different flavors were added such as siracha

Comment

Several years ago I quit buying tuna in the can and started buying it in the pouch. It’s a little more pricy than the canned, but the flavor and quality in the pouch is much better. I eat mine with a little Mayo and a boiled egg. I know you didn’t want Mayo, but that’s just what I do.

An alternative for you is to try the different flavored tunas that are out there. StarKist makes a Thai Chili Style which is excellent, along with several other varieties. Give ‘em a shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F60082E3-1398-40D2-86C2-143CAD3BDDB5.png
Views:	249
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1304349

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C6D6348-0CE0-4CF5-94A9-A68EEC603979.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1304348

Comment

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          There were so many of those in the store this morning I had trouble finding just plain tuna...

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure they are more expensive in the long run, given the amount of liquid that you have to dump out from the cans vs. basically none from the pouches. I've been buying them for 15 years (not the flavored though, too much sodium).

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Murdy Yeah, you’re probably right, there’s very little liquid in the pouches. There’s also a big difference in flavor between the cans and pouches, for me anyway. I’ll never go back to canned tuna. Dan Deter yeah the flavored tuna in the pouches are getting very popular. The lemon pepper wasn’t bad either, if I recall.

I mix canned tuna with evoo and some capers,,,

Comment

I've been buying canned tuna in EVOO. It's good right out of the can over some salad greens and a shot of Italian dressing (or just sprinkle the Italian herbs over the tuna and give it a splash of rice wine vinegar). 2 layer in the can sardines is a good choice too. Plain yellow mustard spikes them up good!

Comment

Seems like the flavored packs spread on crackers would be the fastest and easiest.

Comment

My favorite use for canned tuna is the venerable tuna mac n cheese casserole, which is very amenable to leftover portioning to take along for lunch. Drain the boiled elbow mac and return to the pot, add a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, splash of milk, stir. Add chunked up tuna, chopped onion, generous amount of shredded cheese, stir in. Cover with more shred cheese, bake at 350F/175C for 30 minutes covered, another 30 uncovered, rest 10 min, serve, portion what's left. Serious comfort food, and of course this baseline recipe can be jazzed up any way you like...

Comment

Recently I've been making my regular tuna salad sandwiches with greek yogurt instead of mayo. There is a bit of a taste difference and it's a bit dryer than mayo. But on the sandwich it's not too bad, especially if you add a few extras (pickles, tomatoes, avacado, etc), I've gotten use to it.

Comment

DO NOT buy the cheap crap in the supermarket. Buy good (mostly european) stuff. Also, think beyond tuna - there's a lot out there;

https://www.seriouseats.com/canned-fish-recipes-5117546 might give you some ideas.

PS: Oil cured. Not water packed.
                  Last edited by rickgregory; October 6, 2022, 08:57 PM.

Comment

We make tuna sandwiches with just adding balsamic vinegar, onion, and celery. It spreads fine, obviously doesn't have the stick together properties, but it works. We just discovered lemon balsamic, incredible. There are tons of flavors for the balsamic so you can mix up your varieties.

Comment

Some Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt, fresh ground pepper with Greek yogurt and/or feta. I often have it plain on a spinach salad with chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, shaved carrots, garbanzo beans, feta, and a vinaigrette.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here