Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuna Puttanesca with Fettuccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuna Puttanesca with Fettuccine

This recipe has evolved and been heavily modified over time from an old version, originally seen in The Food Network Kitchen.

Puttanesca is usually made with anchovies but in this recipe, canned Italian tuna takes the anchovies' place. The recipe calls for fresh Fettuccine, but you can really use any pasta shape, dried or fresh (with the pasta cooking time suitably modified), that you prefer.

Course: Lunch, Dinner, Entrée
    Cuisine: Italian
    Makes: About 4-6 meal-size servings
    Takes: About 2 hours total.
    Special Tools: A large (12") sauce pan or skillet and a pot large enough (6-8 qt. total, or about 1 qt. per serving) to boil pasta. A spider, tongs, spaghetti ladle, or large slotted spoon for draining and transferring the pasta is also useful.

Ingredients
    For the Pasta Dough (larger amounts are for a full batch)
    • 300g Flour, (100g per serving) AP or bread flour
    • 3 large Eggs (50g ea.) (1 per serving), beaten
    • 15ml/1TBSP Olive Oil (5ml/1 tsp per serving)
    • 15ml/1TBSP water (5ml/1 tsp per serving)
    • OPTIONAL: A tiny bit of salt to firm up the pasta
    • OPTIONALLY SUBSTITUTE: Up to 450g (16 oz.) (about 85-115g (3-4 oz.) per serving) dried Fettuccine, Linguine, Spaghetti, etc.
    For a Basic Puttanesca Sauce
    • 30ml (2 TBSP) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, optionally combine with (or substitute) butter for sauteing.
    • 1-2 large cloves fresh garlic, finely diced
    • 30 ml (2 TBSP) capers stored in brine, drained and optionally rinsed
    • 75-150g (1/2 - 1 cup) kalamata olives, roughly chopped
    • 794g (28 oz. net wt.) canned San Marzano tomatoes, crushed, seeds optionally removed, drained, and liquid reserved
    • a "bunch" of fresh basil leaves, washed, dried, and finely sliced or chopped
    • 160g (5.6 oz. net) Canned tuna, packed in olive oil - a good Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese brand, e.g., Callipo from Italy; Do not drain.
    • Kosher Salt, typically Morton's
    • Sugar - When sautéing and salting the sauce, I generally add an equal (or up to double) amount of sugar. Consider it optional here.
    • Black Pepper, freshly ground
    Ingredients to Enhance the Basic Sauce - All Highly Recommended
    • 150-160g (about 1/2 medium) sweet onion, finely chopped
    • 225g (8 oz) fresh mushrooms, (button, baby bella, etc. (tender varieties)) thinly sliced
    • 150g (1 cup) red bell pepper, medium chopped
    • Approx. 120ml (1/2 cup) red wine, to taste (Merlot is best, pinot noir is good, too. Very dry wines are NOT)
    • 60-120ml (1/4 to 1/2 cup) Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated or shaved for garnish
    Optional Ingredients
    • 120ml (1/2 cup) flour, to make a simple roux for thickening (I've never felt the need)
    • 1-3ml (1/4 - 1/2) tsp. crushed or flaked red pepper (if you want some heat)
    Alternative Ingredients for a Vegetarian Version
    • Leave out the tuna - shazam, it's vegetarian!
    • You might want to consider adding:
      • additional fresh mushrooms, chopped instead of sliced for better texture
      • dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted, drained (carefully to remove sand), and coarsely chopped for added flavor
      • a bit of miso paste for additional umami
    Method
    For Making the Fresh Pasta Dough (you can use a mixer or food processor, but it's easy enough to do by hand)
    Note: For dried pasta, just follow the box instructions.
    • In a bowl, lightly beat the egg(s).
    • Add olive oil and water, beat lightly to combine
    • Add the flour and mix/fold by hand until thoroughly combined into a smooth dough ball (about 480g for a full batch). Let the dough ball rest, covered with a clean dish towel, for at least 15-20 minutes before proceeding.
    • Divide the dough ball into equal manageable portions (4-6 ea., (80-120g ea.) for a full batch)
    • Shape each portion into an approximately 3x5 inch (75x125mm) rectangle
    • Using the KA pasta rolling attachment, set the mixer speed to [2], then starting on thickness setting [1], feed each dough rectangle through repeatedly, incrementing the roller setting each time until thickness setting [7]. Flour as needed.
    • Lay each sheet of dough out on the counter or on a cutting board, optionally square off the ends, and cut into desired lengths for noodles. Flour as needed and keep the growing stack of pasta sheets covered with a clean towel.
    • To cut into fettuccine noodles (or spaghetti, if you prefer), feed each pasta sheet through the appropriate cutter. Flour if needed as you stack or nest the noodles loosely, covered with a clean towel until ready to boil:
    ​
    For the Puttanesca Sauce (season each "layer" with salt/sugar and pepper to taste before proceeding to next step)
    • Set a strainer over a bowl and crush the canned tomatoes with your hands, optionally removing as many seeds as you prefer. Also remove any tough stems. Drain, and reserve both the tomatoes and their juices separately.
    • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med. heat.
    • Add chopped onions and sauté until tender. Season as needed with salt and (optionally) a bit of sugar.
    • Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and starting to dry. Season as needed with salt/sugar:
    ​
    • Add garlic, red bell pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using). Sauté until garlic is cooked through, not browned:
    ​
    • Add flour (if using) and stir to mix thoroughly. Cook until heated through but do not allow to brown at all.
    • Add the capers and chopped olives and sauté for about 2-5 min:
    ​
    • Add the crushed tomatoes, stir to mix, and cook until slightly dry, about 2-5 min.
    • Add the reserved tomato juice, red wine (if using), and most of the fresh basil (saving some for garnish), season to taste, and cook until the sauce thickens and any alcohol has (theoretically) cooked off, at least 3-5 min:
    ​
    • Add the tuna with its oil, break it up into small pieces, stir it in thoroughly, and cook until heated through:
    ​
    • Simmer covered, over low heat, until flavors have melded and pasta is ready to serve, at least 20-30 min:
    ​
    For Boiling the Pasta (after the sauce has simmered and is ready to serve)
    • In a pot large enough to contain plenty of water for just the pasta you intend to serve right away, bring properly salted (5-10ml (1-2 tsp.) Morton's Kosher salt per qt./L) water to a full boil.
    • Add just the pasta that you will be serving; bring back to a gentle boil (watch for boil over!), and cook until just al dente.
    Assemble and Serve
    • Lightly drain the pasta, reserving about 120ml (1/2 cup) of the pasta water. I normally just fish it out of the pot, give it a light shake, and transfer without draining, directly into the sauce pan or serving bowls.
    • Toss or stir pasta and sauce together to thoroughly combine. If it seems too thick, stir in a bit of the reserved pasta water.
    • Serve immediately; season to taste with black pepper and garnish, as desired, with additional fresh basil and/or grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2F93E844-DAD5-45CD-825F-FEF1D0C84618.jpeg Views:	90 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	1188466

To Make Ahead and Freeze
    The puttanesca sauce itself will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator and it freezes well by itself (without the pasta). If you do freeze it, just plan to make a new batch of pasta each time you want to serve it.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; March 14, 2022, 01:09 PM.

Nice, sounds better than my Canned Tuna in Mushroom soup over toast.
    Award-Winning Recipe, the only thing to be paired with Coors Light.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; March 12, 2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Omg

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Canned Tuna in mushroom soup over toast? Probably makes PBR taste like an award winning beer…..

Wow, great recipe, MB Orwhateveryournameis! This is on the dinner list sometime this week! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mike ... just a heads up that I corrected the amount of fresh mushrooms to 8oz. I fat fingered the original and listed the weight as 16oz. The additional 'shrooms won't hurt anything ... but I figured you might not love'em as much as we do.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, brother, I hadn't noticed right off of the bat. I'm waiting for the tuna to get here tomorrow then it's on!

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, Mike ( CaptainMike ). The only two things I think are critical to this recipe are (1) the quality of the canned tuna and (2) the quality of the tomatoes. Everything else (including exact amounts) is pretty loosey goosey. Have fun with it and don’t forget the pics!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I have good quality tumatuhs, I'll search the vast culinary wasteland of Jefferson for the toonuh.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - I gave up trying to find good toonah around here. I’m sure it must be available but didn’t want to deal with all the driving. I just order this stuff from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s actually quite good.

Wow, this looks fantastic, great prep. We make our own tomato sauce from our greenhouse bounty and our own pasta. I need to step up our game and give this a try. Your dish is presented like a 5 star restaurant, something i would expect to see at the Broadmoor.

Comment

Looks delicious MBMorgan ! The homemade noodles bring back childhood memories.

Comment

Very well done Morg. Must admit I don't make my own noodles but I may give it a whirl. I do have a hand crank cutter, never used it. The Puttanesca looks spot on. Nice work !!!

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, TM ... and don't tell anyone, but the noodles are drop dead easy.

The finished product looks sublime, well done MB.

Comment

I made this last week and it was fantastic. The layers of flavor were subtle but very discernable and really complimented each other. When I first saw this it brought back not-so-pleasant memories of mom trying to perfect a tuna casserole, she never did and finally, thankfully, mercifully gave up. Great advice on the quality tuna, it wasn't expensive but it was very good and quite mild compared to US mass produced tuna. And guess what, our super market here in the great culinary wasteland of Jefferson has a pretty nice Italian food section and lo and behold several brands of imported tuna. Who knew!

This is a very good "something a little different" meal that is now a part of our rotation, thanks for the great recipe.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; March 24, 2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you liked it, amigo! ... and glad I read past the part that said "When I first saw this it brought back not-so-pleasant memories".

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here