Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Saunier de Camargue, Fleur de Sel, Sea Salt,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody heard of or tried this salt on brisket? It's said to be amazing even without pepper.

Heckuva long name for sea salt. Shoot, it even has two commas in it! Whew.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

Fleur de sel is just the French translation of sea salt, so I assume the first part is what sets it apart. I don't believe I have tried it.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, so it’s like ....Pizza, Pizza!

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Or Shrimp Scampi

I seen it used on YouTube smoking a brisket without any pepper or anything else. The guy said it was the best tasting brisket he has ever smoked. They sell it on Amazon. Expensive.

Smoking Joe's pit bbq,
    Best brisket in the world only using salt.

You can search youtube:
    Salt only brisket
    Last edited by Joetee; January 26, 2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I haven't yet tried it on brisket.

It's a pretty nice, white, large flake fleur de sel. Fleur de sel is the "top" harvest of sea salt, traditionally harvested by hand by guys who rake the salt in shallow ponds in the hot sun (they're called "sauniers"). The Camargue is in the south of France, just south from Arles, where Van Gogh lived, so it's Mediterranean sea salt, not sel de Guerande, which comes from the Atlantic coast. I slightly prefer Fleur de sel de Guerande, but I'm happy to have Fleur de sel de Camargue when I can't; my wife is opposite.

I use fleur de sel as a finishing salt on meats of all sorts.

Sel "gris" is slightly grayer, and is what you get after scraping the fleur de sel off the top. I would happily use sel gris for something like a brisket -- it's cheaper, and you don't care about the look in that case.

Here's a little paean to fleur de sel (de Guerande which is my preferred fleur de sel but, as I said, my wife actually slightly prefers fleur de sel de Camargue):
      A visit to Guerande, where the world famous fleur de sel is harvested, the famous salt of Brittany with David Lebovitz, author of My Paris Kitchen
      Last edited by RobertC; January 27, 2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Does that mean it is the upper crust of salt?

I have yet to be taken in by sea salt except where the flakes make a physical difference. So I think in the main, salt is salt.

Comment

From what I understand it is a special salt only found in that area of france.

Comment

We switched from iodized salt to sea salt years ago, sea salt just tastes better.
          Its not the high falutin French flake stuff, still crystals.
          For those of you that haven't tried sea salt I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Sea salt is a Good Thing, ime...

There is a book by the name of "Salted" by Mark Bitterman. It is called a manefesto of salt. If you just start reading this tome, you discover that there is no such thing as salt is salt. I can’t explain more, because then I would just start reading the book. If one wants to be educated on the marvelous different qualities of salt, read it.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty much agreed salt is salt, its the iodine they put in salt for what ever reason that turned us of Iodized Salt.
            Taste them beside each other and you can taste the bitterness of the iodine in I S to ne S S
            just plain tastes better.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool , My good friend, do some research, you will be in for a surprise. BTW, the iodized salt is garbage, maybe that’s why your taste buds are tellin you somethin.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan will look for the book you mentioned, there is much I still need to learn

I'm certain that some salts taste better than others, but for my palate there is a point beyond which the return is diminished. Why spend $10 when I can't distinguish it from the $5 stuff?

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Walmart and other groceries sell sea salt for a buck a box its no more expensive than Iodized salt.
            We have a bottle of $10-12 Pink Himalayan salt in the cupboard, at the end of the day still salt but its not iodized which makes a big difference to me.

What no pepper??? Why that’s anti-Texan, un-American and pretty close to a hanging offense in these parts.

As to the sea salt, sounds intriguing

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I kind it kind of surprising this hasn't caught on down in the ol U S of A yet
            We haven't brought iodized salt in at least 15 years.
            Canada may not lead in much but salt we're king, hell we drop tons on the roads alone.
            All kidding aside something I think you should give a try.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            The comment was tongue in cheek obviously. I've tried a variety of salts and see very little difference when using it while cooking or brining. Using it topically on food does, but that's a small portion of what I use salt for.

• RobertC
            RobertC commented
            Editing a comment
            I almost never use fleur de sel for cooking or brining. Mostly, salts differ because of the geometric shape of the crystals. When it dissolves in water it's no different than table salt. It's better as a finishing salt. You'd never use it to salt the pasta water -- it's too expensive for that -- you could absolutely use it for the pasta on the plate. There are also minor differences in trace chemicals that can affect taste, but the main thing is the geometry of the flake.
            Last edited by RobertC; January 27, 2021, 09:50 AM.

Interesting to use on a brisket, I'd think you'd have to grind it down some to get smaller more even pieces so you can evenly season the brisket. I always have some flaky salt on hand for finishing - meats, pizza and also salads, as its not as 'salty' as other salts and gives a nice crunch & flavor pop

Comment

Most of the salt one acquires at a stupor market is a variation of two types of salt produced by giant chemical companies. Iodine in salt was a decision made decades ago to provide what was determined by the powers that be, a deficiency in iodine in the diet. Hence, let’s put it in what everybody eats mentality. If you have a proper diet it is unnecessary, but, it does have a taste.
            Joetee has stumbled upon an artisan salt that can have a distinct, positive effect on a lowly steak. Yes, would you ever say a steak is a steak. I’ll leave it there.

Comment

Well I surfed today for an hour so I guess I been brined with sea salt, might as well go soak in the hot tub (which is "redneck" for Sous Vide)

and, no, can't say I tried the salt with 2 commas, will need to get some!
              Last edited by smokenoob; January 27, 2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I used copy and paste. That's why the two commas. LOL no way I could of spelled those foreign words. LOL 😂😂😂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here