Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Saunier de Camargue, Fleur de Sel, Sea Salt,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    Or Shrimp Scampi

• ScottyC13
    commented on 's reply
    Lol!

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Salt is salt, salt is a mineral composed primarily of sodium chloride (NaCl), but then there are additives, we use pink salt, Kosher Salt, and table salt. An internet search shows 40 different types of salt.
    Life was simpler when salt was salt.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Does that mean it is the upper crust of salt?

• Panhead John
    replied
    I’m not using any dang salt I can’t pronounce or spell. Doing good to spell Himalayan.....Pink Salt.
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 27, 2021, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    I used copy and paste. That's why the two commas. LOL no way I could of spelled those foreign words. LOL 😂😂😂

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    Well I surfed today for an hour so I guess I been brined with sea salt, might as well go soak in the hot tub (which is "redneck" for Sous Vide)

and, no, can't say I tried the salt with 2 commas, will need to get some!
    Last edited by smokenoob; January 27, 2021, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RobertC
    commented on 's reply
    I almost never use fleur de sel for cooking or brining. Mostly, salts differ because of the geometric shape of the crystals. When it dissolves in water it's no different than table salt. It's better as a finishing salt. You'd never use it to salt the pasta water -- it's too expensive for that -- you could absolutely use it for the pasta on the plate. There are also minor differences in trace chemicals that can affect taste, but the main thing is the geometry of the flake.
    Last edited by RobertC; January 27, 2021, 09:50 AM.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    The comment was tongue in cheek obviously. I've tried a variety of salts and see very little difference when using it while cooking or brining. Using it topically on food does, but that's a small portion of what I use salt for.

• FireMan
    replied
    Most of the salt one acquires at a stupor market is a variation of two types of salt produced by giant chemical companies. Iodine in salt was a decision made decades ago to provide what was determined by the powers that be, a deficiency in iodine in the diet. Hence, let’s put it in what everybody eats mentality. If you have a proper diet it is unnecessary, but, it does have a taste.
    Joetee has stumbled upon an artisan salt that can have a distinct, positive effect on a lowly steak. Yes, would you ever say a steak is a steak. I’ll leave it there.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    FireMan will look for the book you mentioned, there is much I still need to learn

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    smokin fool , My good friend, do some research, you will be in for a surprise. BTW, the iodized salt is garbage, maybe that’s why your taste buds are tellin you somethin.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    I kind it kind of surprising this hasn't caught on down in the ol U S of A yet
    We haven't brought iodized salt in at least 15 years.
    Canada may not lead in much but salt we're king, hell we drop tons on the roads alone.
    All kidding aside something I think you should give a try.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Walmart and other groceries sell sea salt for a buck a box its no more expensive than Iodized salt.
    We have a bottle of $10-12 Pink Himalayan salt in the cupboard, at the end of the day still salt but its not iodized which makes a big difference to me.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Pretty much agreed salt is salt, its the iodine they put in salt for what ever reason that turned us of Iodized Salt.
    Taste them beside each other and you can taste the bitterness of the iodine in I S to ne S S
    just plain tastes better.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here