Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accidental Rub Collection, What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidental Rub Collection, What to do?

It kills me to throw out perfectly good food or spices. I realize that many of the rubs that live in my pantry aren’t as essential as I thought they were (I can do better myself), or they are getting really old for ground spices, and my family continues to buy rubs as gifts (which is thoughtful but sometimes not ideal because I am getting more interested in making my own rubs).

we are talking old chili "seasoning", "pork rub", "chicken rub", "beef rub", coffee rubs, and more. You get the picture... do I just suck it up and delay my home developed rub experiments? Or is their a good way to put these rubs to use in a new way?

I know this is a good problem to have.. just wondering if there is a creative solution I am overlooking?

Good points. I try to use as much as possible I’m given. So that means I look at the spices THEN ask what do I cook. I also toss the stuff I know I’ll never use.

Comment

Pass them on. Try out a rub, then give it to someone who wants to try it.

So, what do you have? ;-)

Comment

Join the club. I have more rubs in my cabinet than I could use in a year. I just keep on cooking and try my best to use them. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Need a General Manager? Jfrosty27 jhoskins I'm actually rather proficient at this, an definitely experienced lol

Have a Great Night, th Both ya!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 27, 2020, 08:17 PM.

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones you may have something here. I asked hoping someone had a clever way to cut the salty store bought rubs and incorporate into something else... instead you gave me a multi million dollar idea for a restaurant... Michelin star here I come "Spiced artisanal hand crafted delicacies" will the the tag line.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          jhoskins , take me in fer th win...

I'll start out worshin dishes, if needed... btdt, plenty times in this life, an Danged Danged Good at it, hate to brag, Brother!

Use em up, suck it up, buttercup, then fill em up with yer own spice mixtures, an gift em to those ya Love, next time around...

Comment

We grow, smoke, dry and grind quite a few peppers every year. At the beginning of a new pepper- harvesting season we'll blend the leftovers (usually all) of last year's grinds and label them "Blend". It's always fun and is usually what I use (with a little cumin and oregano) when a recipe calls for "chili powder". Your post makes me think this might be a fun way to "dispose" of an odd assortment of variously acquired and somewhat dated spices and seasonings. Who knows, it could turn out to be a nice little cottage industry!

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the new BBQ there yet? I'm really looking forward to it.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 not yet, I'm hoping for next month or Feb at the latest.

"Captain Mike's All Purpose Rub" has a definitely Marketable ring to it, especially given yer handsome visage, Brotherman!

Ah'ma checkin Amazon, see if'n it's available to order, jus yet lol

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you may have more success if you search for Captain Morgan...

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Today, mebbe so, Brother ComfortablyNumb ...

But we'uns has th power to at least try to change th Future, leave us Never fergit that fact...

(Plus, I was projectin one, where I might conceivably become Rico, since it was my Ideal婨, in th First dang dang Place)...

If'n that pans out, I will require a Really Good DJ, though... know anybody, that can accomodate my musical tastes? !
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 27, 2020, 11:44 PM.

Experiment with mixing some together. Many rubs will work on different meats so mixing them together might be fun. If it doesn’t work out you can feel okay about tossing them. I have a basic spice rub that I use on pork shoulder, but I have different spices that I add to pitch it in different directions. The basic rub works pretty good on pork, chicken and beef. I’ve seen some pit master shows where they use their one rub on everything. Just have some fun.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup.

Fun is Mandatory, however ya choose to play it lol!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here