Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings: Baking soda vs cornstarch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do my wings on a kettle with Vortex. No special treatment of any kind required. Just hit them with a wing rub I like and toss them on. Crispy outside and moist and tender inside.

Comment

I used to use baking powder, and it works good. Now, I use corn starch and think I like it better. Works really, really well. Don't make a mistake by using baking soda.

Comment

While you are all hear talking about chicken wings... what are y'alls thoughts on the Alton Brown method (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1972721) of steaming them first to render some fat and then make them (I use the grill of course).

I have tried the baking powder route, the long uncovered in the fridge in a dry brine, and the Alton Brown method.... I liked all three to be honest, I am just not sure the Alton Brown method was worth the extra effort of steaming.

Comment

• cscheib
          cscheib commented
          Editing a comment
          J. Kenji disproved the "steam" method as being effective. It's also a PITA. https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/...ppetizers.html

I'd look at the various articles on Serious Eats to come to your own conclusion as to methodology.

I generally sous vide or pressure cook first (I think Kenji has a SV method, ChefSteps has a pressure method), fridge dry and baking powder, then deep fry quickly to crisp. Oven frying may work here, too.
          Last edited by cscheib; December 28, 2020, 09:19 PM.

Baking powder, not soda. It lowers the ph and causes the skin to crisp better. I do it on wings that are not to be fried.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here