Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings: Baking soda vs cornstarch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    jhoskins actually takes ~bout an hour~, most times...rotate th lid 90° every 15 mikes to redirect airflow, flip wings @ 30 mikes...always meatiest part t'wards th fire...

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones how long does that normally take? Gotta imagine it’s pretty quick

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    jhoskins I go Hot n Fast alla th way, shootin fer 450°~500°~ish, vents wide open...

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones for using a Vortex... do you low and slow them till almost done and then hit them fast using the Vortex? Or do you do them hot and fast the whole time?

• texastweeter
    replied
    Baking powder, not soda. It lowers the ph and causes the skin to crisp better. I do it on wings that are not to be fried.

Leave a comment:

• cscheib
    commented on 's reply
    J. Kenji disproved the "steam" method as being effective. It's also a PITA. https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/...ppetizers.html

I'd look at the various articles on Serious Eats to come to your own conclusion as to methodology.

I generally sous vide or pressure cook first (I think Kenji has a SV method, ChefSteps has a pressure method), fridge dry and baking powder, then deep fry quickly to crisp. Oven frying may work here, too.
    Last edited by cscheib; December 28, 2020, 09:19 PM.

• jhoskins
    replied
    While you are all hear talking about chicken wings... what are y'alls thoughts on the Alton Brown method (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1972721) of steaming them first to render some fat and then make them (I use the grill of course).

I have tried the baking powder route, the long uncovered in the fridge in a dry brine, and the Alton Brown method.... I liked all three to be honest, I am just not sure the Alton Brown method was worth the extra effort of steaming.

Leave a comment:

• Blues1
    replied
    I used to use baking powder, and it works good. Now, I use corn starch and think I like it better. Works really, really well. Don't make a mistake by using baking soda.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. That's very informative.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I do my wings on a kettle with Vortex. No special treatment of any kind required. Just hit them with a wing rub I like and toss them on. Crispy outside and moist and tender inside.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    If the point is to crisp the skin there are other ways of doing so that don't involve corn starch or baking soda. As mentioned above, dry-brining and then leaving uncovered in the fridge will dry out the skins which will accelerate crisping. Toss them into the freezer for an hour beforehand will further increase crisping at they will take longer to cook before hitting a safe internal temperature.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    snowswamp un a 500 gram flour, I use 10 grams.

• snowswamp
    commented on 's reply
    I use malt powder for my French bread. How much do use use in your pizza dough?

• RobertC
    replied
    Baking powder and baking soda are different, though baking soda is an ingredient of baking powder.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is alkaline, and is a tenderizer. Baking powder is typically made from sodium bicarbonate + an acid.

Baking soda, besides being a tenderizer, can have a "soapy" taste.

When baking powder is heated in the presence of a liquid, it gives off CO2, which is why it's used in leavening. When used in a coating, it will "leaven" the coating a little and make it fluffier or crispier.

Cornstarch is a a thickener when combined with water (starches swell up and gelatinize in the presence of water), and will help keep a coating from washing away.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    This is what I was going to post...it’s a great method!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here