Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spices you hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spices you hate

I’ll start with "spices you hate".

Curry

I can’t stand it. The smell and taste.

”No, but you need to try [this] curry.”

Nope. 🤣

We float the same boat, can't stand curry.

Comment

Not sure if I have ever been around curry.

Ginger- bad after taste, I replace with Allspice in a all recipes

Not a spice but RoseMary- same bad after taste as Ginger, I replace with Thyme

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Rosemary is ok in small doses. But understand!

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Find a restaurant that serves food from India, guarantee the place will be drowning in curry.

Allspice.
      Too much sage in Breakfast Sausage is a real buzzkill, first thing in th mornin, as well

(I don't hate sage, jus that a lil bit goes quite a Long Ways... )

Comment

Pumpkin....so tired of it!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I have, and it is very similar. However sweet potatoes don't grow as well in my climate as pumpkins do. I plant a variety called 'Winter Luxury' to make my pies.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers Loves me some sweet tater pie!

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          We do like pumpkin and sweet potato pies...similar flavors IMO. I have an old recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie that’s really good!!!

Rosemary for me. It feels like I'm eating pine needles. Looks like it too.....

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate it whole, or even chopped. But I buy it ground in bulk for making Memphis Dust and love it in that application.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, we no longer have Euell Gibbons, to advise us, in such pine matters...

A loss seldom noted, but a loss, nonetheless... RIP Brother...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 28, 2020, 05:16 PM.

• zzdocxx
          zzdocxx commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah what's up with that, you don't like pine needles ?

Nutmeg. And I’m not a fan of allspice.

With both of those on the list, it’s no surprise I’m not so much in love with pumpkin pie spice either.

I used to think cilantro tasted like soap, but now I’m okay with it. I read that that is fairly common with cilantro.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Cilantro tasting like soap is a genetic trait, that as Homey points out affects 15% of the population, including my mom.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          What is strange is that it doesn’t taste like soap any more. Now I like it. I’ve read that isn’t uncommon, for that taste to change.

• SmokingPat
          SmokingPat commented
          Editing a comment
          I read that it's common for Jewish people not to like it. I have a friend who says it smells like sweaty gym shoes. He's Jewish.

Caraway seed. Can't stand it. Main reason I didn't eat rye bread most of my life.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll go with caraway too just because I can’t think of anything else right now

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto. Can’t stand caraway seeds.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a GF that thinks the same... So I'm like..."Eh, why not just get rye bread without the caraway?" She hated it so much growing up that she didn't even know that was a thing.

Coriander, believe you guys call it cilantro. I'm one of the unfortunate genetic deviants that it tastes like soap too. My wife too so unfortunately my daughter has no chance.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          The seed is coriander, the plant is cilantro.

• Deano_Smokes
          Deano_Smokes commented
          Editing a comment
          Not over here in the UK or a large part of Europe. You have coriander seeds and coriander itself.

• tdimond
          tdimond commented
          Editing a comment
          The leaf is fine, I don't like the seeds.

I just realized there was another interpretation to this comment ...

I have yet to meet a spice I didn't like, a least that I can remember. One of the Daughters can taste the smallest amount of cumin in a recipe. She says it tastes like butt (not the pork kind). And I love and cook a lot of Mex.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto. No worries no matter what you put in it. I expected a lot more cilantro answers.

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          My daughter tells me that something tastes like butt and I ask her how she knows? She hates the flavors of peppers: bell peppers, hot peppers, hates them all. Husband hates cilantro; I will use it like lettuce. . .

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
        I’ll start with "spices you hate".

Curry

I can’t stand it. The smell and taste.

”No, but you need to try [this] curry.”

Nope. 🤣
        Try Jamaican curry less pungent than Indian varieties
        Yes I know you said it ain’t happening
        but one more go at it😋

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Duuuude, long story short... I lived in a condo with my wife. Once a week, at random times, we’d get this SMELL. I honestly thought it was rotting mice in the attic. It was raunchy.

I investigated, but nothing turned up the culprit. Then, it happened again, and I was determined to find the source. I had the courage to ask the guy below me. I went into his condo and it wasn’t him.

But then I went one below him and he opened the door and THE SMELL HIT ME. That was IT!

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Skipped floor 2 and went into mine on floor 3! He was cooking curry. And the family was Jamaican. SUPER nice family, but we had to get out of that condo for that (and many many other reasons).

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I get it, there’s a lot of Indian/Pakistani families in this area the curry they use makes me wretch but Jamaician I do enjoy
          Whadda gunna do

Anise. The absolute worse.

Comment

• Schwyy
          Schwyy commented
          Editing a comment
          scrolling down for a partner in anise despising crime.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Along with cardamom

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter - Ha! I have 2 different types of cardamom and I have the green one in 3 different forms - whole pod, seeds and ground + and I use it fairly often since in a LOT of South Asian dishes. I don't mind it at all, but I don't want to be biting into any whole pods! I try really hard to fish them out before serving. Fortunately, there aren't usually very many in any one dish - 3-4.

Charter Member of the Anti-Cilantro Coalition helping to rid the world of this vile herb one plant at a time.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha!! I like cilantro!

Cloves. It takes over a recipe in a heartbeat.
        Anise. No licorice. NO licorice.

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          As I sip my licorice tea!

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
          Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
          Editing a comment
          DiverDriver -- Ha! You may have all of my licorice everything, and welcome to it!

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I also need any cloves in a dish to be in VERY small doses. l love the smell though. 🤷‍♂️

Cyanide. Terrible but brief aftertaste

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Best taken in small doses

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          It's one of those things I would try only once. Maybe.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Finally read one that I can get behind. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here