Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celery Seed Substitute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celery Seed Substitute?

This post is a long shot!

Admins, I apologize if this post is in the wrong channel, please advise.

Anyway, I’m experimenting with coleslaw recipes for my not-yet-opened bbq business. I’ve made dozens, but still looking for THE ONE. My potato salad is creamy, and effing amazing, so I figure a good vinegar slaw would counter the heaviness of the potato salad, and add a pleasant acidity. Anyway I’m rambling.

Many recipes call for celery seed, but my wife hates the stuff. She’s got me reasonably convinced it’s one of those polarizing ingredients people love or hate. I’m neutral on the subject, but can do without it. From a flavor standpoint I find it adds little, but visually it makes coleslaw look amazing. Is there something less offensive I can use to simulate the appearance?

According to SPICEgraphy celery leaves and celery stock then celery salt, then dill. (They may be part of Spiceology, not sure.)

Comment

Since you are going for a "look" more than flavor. My first thought was dill, caraway, mustard (probably too big). Good luck experimenting

Comment

Coarse ground pepper should give a similar look - just don't go wild with it.

Comment

• Woodson
          Woodson commented
          Editing a comment
          Why didn’t I think of that? Outside perspective wins. I’ll try it.

I find celery seed to much also, takes over what you have made.
        If its for appearance only try chives or parsley, fresh finely chopped or bottled flakes.

Comment

Celery seed isn't quite as polarizing as cilantro, but you're right -- a fair number of people don't like it. I guess if you're trying to mimic the look of celery seed without greatly changing the taste, the closest would be black pepper. People who don't like celery seed may still shy away from eating this, if the appearance of the pepper is similar to c.s.

Minced or finely sliced carrot or red sweet pepper adds a nice visual punch to a slaw without greatly altering the flavor. Sweet pepper would be my preference of the two, but carrot is a close second in my book. The little salad peppers being sold nowadays are drier than the big meaty bell peppers, so I'd probably lean toward using salad peppers to keep the slaw from getting watery.

If you're serving the slaw right away, parsley, chives or green onion will work okay, but can look tired quickly unless added to the slaw shortly before service. One more thing to remember when things are at their most hectic.

Dill, caraway, and mustard have their own distinctive flavor. Along with c.s., caraway is another "love it or hate it" spice, so it might not be a good choice for a slaw meant to appeal to most everyone.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya have given me much to think upon, Sister!
            Many Thanks, from th windswept Prairie...

I feel the same way about parsley. Can't stand it. If a recipe calls for it, it gets left out. Hope you find something that works. I'd just leave it out and see how it tastes.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw Ina Gartner say she hates cilantro so she adds parsley. You might try cilantro instead of parsley. They seem to be interchangeable.

• fttank
            fttank commented
            Editing a comment
            I do love cilantro, but I substitute parsley with basil.

Wow, I just noticed this after I spent quite a bit of time on the same question for a different reason. I'm making coleslaw to go with the pork I'm cooking today. My usual recipe includes both coarse black pepper and celery seed. But apparently I'm out of celery seed. I decided to go with a small amount of cracked caraway seeds and a tiny sprinkle of dill. After testing it, I really like it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Have not yet used dill in coleslaw, but gonna be tryin it (loves me some dill!) from now on...thanks fer th great inspiration, Brother!

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            If you like dill weed in general, I recommend it adding it to slaw or tater salad. It adds a nice little twist to the usual.

We add apple to Cole slaw. But it is a creamy slaw.

Comment

Poppy seeds?

Comment

If I'm just trying to add a bit of visual "texture" without altering flavor (much), my go-to is almost always a bit of dried dill weed.

Comment

Lotta times, durin Summer Potlucks, here, celery seed subs jus natcherly seem to add themselves, such as gnats, aphids, an fruit flies...
                Reckon it might be different, where yall live...
                Coolest thing is: most folks my age, lessen they's a wearin their 'cheaters', cain't tell any difference...

Comment

I add green apple, smoked on the cob corn and celery (leaves and all sometimes ) to my coleslaw along with SPOG.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here