Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's Rubs

Just curious as I really like the Memphis Rub from Meathead and it is pretty much my goto on pork. Is the Simon and Garfunkel rub for chicken and the Big bad beef rub for beef as good because they don't seem to get as much play on the board it doesn't seem like. I plan to try them myself soon but I wanted to hear others opinion...

BB beef rub is very good. I use it and some commercial stuff. I have move away from S&G after several to using some of the commercial rubs...frankly I think it is aesthetically unattractive to the spousal unit. But MMR is the go to stuff.

Comment

BBBR and MMR are talked about quite a bit. BBBR is still my #1 go to for beef (although I use OakRidge and Henrik's products occasionally as well). I'm just waiting for Meathead to slap a label on all these and throw them into the sales hopper !!!

Comment

BBBR is my go to for stuff like tri tip. Very delicious on that cut.

Comment

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Additionally, the foodie I live with will not allow any change. She adds it to our steaks as well.

I have used MMR and BBBR and recommend them. Only used S&G once and folks weren't enthusiastic about it. Highly recommend you try Jerod's Trifecta Rub.

So I made a big batch, but realized I needed to scale it down. The scaled down version in (parentheses) I think is 1/8 of the original, or close to it. :) This is a system; 1. Dry

Comment

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          That was my experience as well. MMR and BBBR stand out, and nearly every other Meathead rub or sauce works for us. S&G just didn't...

I like Memphis Dust and BBB rub but I did not like the Simon and Garfunkle rub the one time I tried it. Here's a tasty alternative.

2 teaspoon of garlic powder
        2 teaspoon of ground cumin
        1 teaspoon of ground coriander
        1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
        1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
        4 tablespoon of olive oil

Comment

• castironchris
          castironchris commented
          Editing a comment
          So is the olive oil to make a paste or slather or whatever or is it used as a binder for the bird?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, rub the paste all over the bird and under the skin. Should be enough for an average sized chicken.

I use a modified Memphis Dust for all of my pork. I replace the paprika with Hatch red chili powder as I like spicy rubs on pork. The combination of sweet, spicy and smoky are very pleasing to me.

I used S&G many times on poultry and although I prefer it on turkey I found I like my chicken better naked and served with a North Carolina dipping sauce.

I always use BBBR for beef and love it.

Comment

I enjoy all 3 regularly as well as MH's "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust", and you can't go wrong with Henrik's either. Taste is an individual experience and only you, and your target audience, can make the final judgement. Try 'em all as they are very cheap and easy to make. Try a board sauce the next time you do a beef or lamb roast as those can be pretty fun too.

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Board Sauce. Especially good with Tri Tip.

We do like S&G on chicken and turkey. Also sprinkle on eggs.

Comment

Memphis dust is a staple in my spice cabinet for pork. Cow crust on beef gets the nod at my place. S&G was tried, not a fan. Need to make some BBBR again.

Comment

BBR and Henriks for my beef. Montreal Steak Seasoning sometimes. I have tried the S&G on poultry, but like several other posters, we weren't too fond of it. I usually make something up for poultry and turkey, forget to write it down, and make something else up the next time. I like rubbing turkeys with compound butters or olive oil pastes, with onion and garlic powder as the main ingredients, and adding whatever I have around the kitchen. And whatever you do, make that Texas BBQ Juice. IMO, that alone is worth the price of he subscription:

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been on this site now since inception and this is the first I've heard of the Texa BBQ Juice. Wow, thanks klflowers

My wife and I love S&G on chicken and the rare turkey. I also use MMD regularly. Neither of us cared for BBBR.

Comment

I (by that I mean me, and the people who usually have to eat the stuff I cook) really like MMD and it is what I regularly use for pork. Same with BBBR for beef. But I don't care for S&G. I do like Meatheads Poulrty Seasoning rub.

Comment

I love BBBR and Cow Crust. I'm not a fan of S&G... it's lacking something and has too much of something else...

Comment

Meathead It sounds like you might have to go back to the drawing board for your poultry rub.

My wife and I both like it. But I have not ventured to far outside of the box on this one. So I cain’t really judge it as compared to other poultry rubs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here