Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lemon pepper seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemon pepper seasoning

I am wanting to make my own lemon pepper seasoning. I read on line that everyone seems to bake in the oven until the zest is dried out. Is this neccesary? I was thinking about just making enough to use at a time. Maybe with my morter and pistle. Lemon zest and pepper corns.
    And ideas?

grampa had a great idea that I've been meaning to try. Here's the link to his post, which says, in part:

I have some marinades that involve lemon juice that I've tried to turn into salt-less rubs per Meathead. Lemon zest, etc, just doesn't given the same intensity of flavor. Casting around on Amazon, I came across "True Lemon," which appeared to be actual dehydrated lemon powder. I ordered some up, tried it, and have been very pleased.

When I read that, I immediately thought of Lemon Pepper seasoning. Haven't tried it, though.

Here's the recipe from Epicurious that I was planning to use, very simple. For the first experiment, I would switch out the 3TBL of finely grated lemon zest for 1 TBL of the True Lemon dehydrated lemon powder.

Let us know what you end up trying, Joetee , and how it works out for you.

Kathryn

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Gives me ideas. I need this today so I'll have to experiment I guess.

Ok. Well I made the lemon pepper.
    I used 5 lemons. Removed all the zest. I wasn't going to dry it in the oven but in the end I did.
    Crushed it in the morter and pistle. Ground the pepper the same way. Mixed them together.
    Took the lemons and saved the juice for spritzing the spatchcocked chicken every so often while it cooked.

Ok, so I rubbed the chicken well with olive oil. Rubbed about all the lemon pepper all over two 5 1/5 # chickens. Grilled indirectly at 225° - 275° until IT was 160°. Spritzing with lemon juice about every 1/2 hr. Then using another grill running hot to sear both sides.

Chicken was totally awesome and juicy.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here