Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for best store bought steak rub.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    looking for best store bought steak rub.

    looking to buy yet more rubs as I have loaded up on stuff this season and made several of meatheads' recipes. I am on a search for a steak rub --I know I can make one and I usually do (salt,pepper, garlic powder, plus sometimes dried shallots and tarragon rub. Just wondering aloud , what do you all think is the best steak rub. thanks

    #2


    Pretty much this. It's hard to explain, but better salt makes a real difference.

    If I want to pump something in it, I will pulverize some dried porcini.

    If I'm looking for something a bit more racy, I use Adam Perry Lang's Four Seasons.

    It's kind of optimized for high heat searing, using garlic salt instead of powder due to burning concerns. If I wanted to add something like shallots or herbs to this, I'd do so with a finishing salt or sauce.

    I am fond of these as a finishing salt for the table:

    Gives a really nice crunch.

    Comment


    • adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that realsalt link. I just ordered a bunch on Amazon. I totally agree about better salt making a difference. Th brand I have been cooking with for years disappeared from the shelves and I can’t find it anywhere. We’ve tried every brand of salt available in every local grocery and nothing compares. Hopefully this is the ticket.

    #3
    I like Montreal Steak Seasoning

    Comment


    • dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      good on burgers

    • HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!

    • klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      yep. we have an industrial sized bottle in our pantry.

    #4
    Haven't tried all the variations they have, but I've enjoyed 2 Gringos Chupacabra seasonings. I've used the brisket magic rub on a few things and always been happy. I don't know that I can say it has anything super special, but just really good beef seasoning and flavor. Their website is https://www.2gringoschupacabra.com/

    Comment


      #5
      McCormick Montreal

      Comment


        #6
        Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Crosta. Or Char Crust roasted garlic peppercorn.

        Comment


        • scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Sear it with them on it!

        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just did the Carne Crosta, pretty good stuff. Love the coffee.

        • Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          just ordered the Oak Ridge Carne Crosta

        #7
        I'm Kind Of Partial To The "JACK DANIELS OLD HICKORY RUBS"‼️ Usually I Dry Rub First For Up To 24 Hr's With 1 Part 50/50 Kosher Salt, 1 Part 50/50 Coarse Garlic Powder @ Course Onion Powder Refridgerate Overnight Add The Rub 4 To 5 Hrs Before The Cook, Top With Tones Rest. Grind Black Pepper‼️
        Then Burn That Thing❗️❓❗️
        From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

        Comment


          #8
          I grew tired of Montreal because the kind I used had enormous salt crystals in it, and I hate crunching on salt crystals. So despite the lack of flair and fanfare, my favorite available-everywhere seasoning for steaks, burgers, veggies, fries, chicken etc is good ol' Morton's Nature's Seasons.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	mortons.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	552501

          And Henrik's Bonafide Beef Rub

          Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	552500

          Then Southern Flavor,

          Click image for larger version

Name:	charbroil_250x250@2x.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	552502


          Among several others, but these are all great universal rubs that work for steaks/burgers/brisket as well as chicken & veggies IMO.

          Comment


            #9
            Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
            I like Montreal Steak Seasoning
            Better than the Montreal Steak Seasoning is the Montreal Steak 30 minute marinade........ .

            Comment


              #10
              A good steak just needs salt and pepper. Let the meat speak for itself.

              Comment


              • dahcopilot
                dahcopilot commented
                Editing a comment
                amen, just fixing to post that myself

              #11
              I do like the basic salt and pepper but D.L. Jardine's Steak Seasoning has been in my rotation lately as a dry rub. I also use Dale's Steak Seasoning but never both.



              [et_pb_text _builder_version="4.27.4" _module_preset="default" header_font="Manuka Slab Bold||||||||" header_text_color="#F2E8DA" header_font_size="80px"…




              Comment


                #12
                Oh, I should add... purchaseable at Whole Foods, Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom powder.

                Comment


                  #13
                  I just love some good kosher salt and some very coarse black pepper. Maybe through in a little bit of granulated garlic.

                  Other than that, I love to use Oak Ridge BBQ's Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub or their Santa Maria Rub. I know its not a "regular" store bought rub, but you can find it some stores. And when you do, it will be worth it.

                  Comment


                    #14
                    I have used some rubs made by Heaven Made, and they are all pretty good. Also tried the rubs made by Grilla Grills since I got one of their pellet cookers, and like those too.

                    Comment


                    • Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on Heaven Made Products, their stuff is fan-freekin-tastic.

                    #15
                    The cut of ribeyes I prefer is not thick enough to benefit from an effective reverse sear. I use GrilGrates so I would just end up burning the pepper and other spices and end up with a bitter taste.

                    I dry brine with Kosher salt and season at the table with my own no salt mix or make a board sauce with freeze dried herbs.

                    Comment


                    • Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Half the time I add the pepper and rub after searing as well.

                  Announcement

                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  0
                  Guest
                  Guest
                  500
                  ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                  7