Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for best store bought steak rub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for best store bought steak rub.

looking to buy yet more rubs as I have loaded up on stuff this season and made several of meatheads' recipes. I am on a search for a steak rub --I know I can make one and I usually do (salt,pepper, garlic powder, plus sometimes dried shallots and tarragon rub. Just wondering aloud , what do you all think is the best steak rub. thanks

Your one stop shop for all things Redmond. We carry pure, natural sea salt and bentonite clay mined from an ancient salt deposit right here in Redmond, Utah. From Real Salt to Re-Lyte Hydration electrolyte mix, try one of our US-mined products today.

Pretty much this. It's hard to explain, but better salt makes a real difference.

If I want to pump something in it, I will pulverize some dried porcini.

If I'm looking for something a bit more racy, I use Adam Perry Lang's Four Seasons.

It's kind of optimized for high heat searing, using garlic salt instead of powder due to burning concerns. If I wanted to add something like shallots or herbs to this, I'd do so with a finishing salt or sauce.

I am fond of these as a finishing salt for the table:

Gives a really nice crunch.

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that realsalt link. I just ordered a bunch on Amazon. I totally agree about better salt making a difference. Th brand I have been cooking with for years disappeared from the shelves and I can’t find it anywhere. We’ve tried every brand of salt available in every local grocery and nothing compares. Hopefully this is the ticket.

I like Montreal Steak Seasoning

Comment

• dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      good on burgers

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      yep. we have an industrial sized bottle in our pantry.

Haven't tried all the variations they have, but I've enjoyed 2 Gringos Chupacabra seasonings. I've used the brisket magic rub on a few things and always been happy. I don't know that I can say it has anything super special, but just really good beef seasoning and flavor. Their website is https://www.2gringoschupacabra.com/

Comment

McCormick Montreal

Comment

Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Crosta. Or Char Crust roasted garlic peppercorn.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Sear it with them on it!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just did the Carne Crosta, pretty good stuff. Love the coffee.

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          just ordered the Oak Ridge Carne Crosta

I'm Kind Of Partial To The "JACK DANIELS OLD HICKORY RUBS"‼️ Usually I Dry Rub First For Up To 24 Hr's With 1 Part 50/50 Kosher Salt, 1 Part 50/50 Coarse Garlic Powder @ Course Onion Powder Refridgerate Overnight Add The Rub 4 To 5 Hrs Before The Cook, Top With Tones Rest. Grind Black Pepper‼️
        Then Burn That Thing❗️❓❗️
        From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I grew tired of Montreal because the kind I used had enormous salt crystals in it, and I hate crunching on salt crystals. So despite the lack of flair and fanfare, my favorite available-everywhere seasoning for steaks, burgers, veggies, fries, chicken etc is good ol' Morton's Nature's Seasons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mortons.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	552501

And Henrik's Bonafide Beef Rub

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	552500

Then Southern Flavor,

Name:	charbroil_250x250@2x.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	552502

Among several others, but these are all great universal rubs that work for steaks/burgers/brisket as well as chicken & veggies IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
            I like Montreal Steak Seasoning
            Better than the Montreal Steak Seasoning is the Montreal Steak 30 minute marinade........ .

Comment

A good steak just needs salt and pepper. Let the meat speak for itself.

Comment

• dahcopilot
                dahcopilot commented
                Editing a comment
                amen, just fixing to post that myself

I do like the basic salt and pepper but D.L. Jardine's Steak Seasoning has been in my rotation lately as a dry rub. I also use Dale's Steak Seasoning but never both.

Welcome to the home page for Dale's Seasoning, the #1 marinade in the nation! Use Dale's on beef, pork chicken, fish and vegetables.

Comment

Oh, I should add... purchaseable at Whole Foods, Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom powder.

Comment

I just love some good kosher salt and some very coarse black pepper. Maybe through in a little bit of granulated garlic.

Other than that, I love to use Oak Ridge BBQ's Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub or their Santa Maria Rub. I know its not a "regular" store bought rub, but you can find it some stores. And when you do, it will be worth it.

Comment

I have used some rubs made by Heaven Made, and they are all pretty good. Also tried the rubs made by Grilla Grills since I got one of their pellet cookers, and like those too.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on Heaven Made Products, their stuff is fan-freekin-tastic.

The cut of ribeyes I prefer is not thick enough to benefit from an effective reverse sear. I use GrilGrates so I would just end up burning the pepper and other spices and end up with a bitter taste.

I dry brine with Kosher salt and season at the table with my own no salt mix or make a board sauce with freeze dried herbs.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Half the time I add the pepper and rub after searing as well.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here