Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks to Meathead, Huskee, and Smoque BBQ in Chicago.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to Meathead, Huskee, and Smoque BBQ in Chicago.....

Meathead's inspiration for the Big Bad Beef Rub came from his favorite brisket in the whole wide world at Smoque BBQ. Barry uses 13 ingredients in his rub (including salt) with a sprinkling of black pepper on top the whole deal.

Soooooo, after using BBBR, Memphis Dust, Huskee's Rub, and researching what is available in Barry's rub I now have 13 ingredients to try. I was going to say "play with" instead of "try" but I didn't want any PM's from JCBBQ Nightmares from that video. I'm pretty sure Barry is using a couple things I'm not.

Having a really bad day with the following so I needed to do something:

1. Get a call from the wife at church, needed to head home ASAP. She had all the electricity off, it seems the boys pulled a chord on the ceiling fan and it came hanging DOWN (will add pic from phone) and whipping all over the place. So I castrated the fan from the ceiling and will have to set up some light.

2. Battery dead AGAIN on a vehicle I wanted to sell in JULY but the wife wanted to clean it up some more. It's only freaking January now.

3. Shoulders aching from work, which leads to..

4. Shooting my indoor bow like C-R-A-P. Literally, I shot 5 shots, looked down, big pile of crap on the ground that wasn't there when I started. The crap was just dripping off my shooting. Never seen something like that.

OH yeah, currently fasting from sweets going on 3 weeks, bread going on 2 weeks, and about to add meat for the last week. I feel like eating my hair right now.

So to the rub that will be used on the next brisket. I feel as though roasts really could use some pop on the surface without adding any soda water. Just salt and pepper is for ribeyes, pan fried salmon, and early settlers.

*Trim and dry brine with salt 2-3 days.

Rub- 1/3 cup each white and brown sugar
    1/4 cup Paprika
    1 Tablespoon each onion and garlic powder
    4 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons each mustard powder, Allspice, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin

**Sprinkle a nice even spread of coarse black pepper over the completed rub

Gonna go heavier on the rub than I normally do.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 21, 2018, 03:20 PM.

Really!!???!!!??!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_123643.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	443426

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard, I Think All of Your Difficulties Are Diet Related❓❓
      If This is One of Those "Approved" Diets, I'll Wager It's Prescribed by a Dietician at Least 50 Lbs Over Weight‼️ Use Your Bow, Shoot the Dietician, Tommorow Will Be a Better Day‼️ IMHOP❗️ Dan

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      What a s-hole of a day. A cold one and football game may take yiur mind off it. Can't wait to see the brisket pic when it happens!

LMAO Danjohnston949 !

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Been there with the ceiling fan, yup!

Sooooooorry about the bad day and everything else but that rub looks like a winner. Will be giving it a try - definitely.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess if pigs can fly above the clouds anything is possible.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I thinks you must FAN UP man

Hey, cheer up it’s only gonna get worse. Sounds like you almost should not give rip & get what ya have to git done. 👌🏼

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      More of a "don't give a crap day"

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ther you said it! Don’t ya feel better! Crap, Rip, same difference.

You forgot ancho chili and you got my version of bbbr

Dude are you on a low carb diet? Tried that twice, went crazy without bread, pasta, potatoes etc. I did calorie counting last go round and lost 30#. Just sayin’....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Since I use cayanne I just use regular chili powder but have been known to substitute when no one is looking

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for calorie counting. No matter what flavor the diet is, if you lose weight it's because of how many calories you ate. Bottom line.

We all have bad days but in time it will get better. Just think positive. 😊

Comment

I've never used my rub on beef, or even mixed with other things on beef. Maybe I should try it. I like mixing bbbr, mmd and my rub for ribs. I suppose I could do it for brisket and just up the ratio of bbbr. I agree with you though, I'm not much of a 'just s&p' guy. Eggs, potato salad, mashed taters, that's about all that gets only s&p.

If it's any consolation, I'm coming down with my 3rd cold this winter alone. I'm never not sick anymore. just in time to head back to work tonight.

Comment

Keep your chin up Jerod Broussard , life will go on. I sit here waiting for the Viking Game. All fingers are crossed.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Skip, Don't Forget to Set Your Snow Shovel Handle Up Tonight‼️
          From a Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Here's hoping that tomorrow is better Jerod.

Comment

So I just got back from the car wash to jump the vehicle that I told my wife not to turn off, that she did. I'll let AutoZone charge up the battery this time around.

In good news I took about a half a pound of weight off of my bow and it feels much better to shoot.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Things are looking up already! Sweet!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I got out of archery when compound bows just started to appear. The National Field Archery Assoc. was just starting to debate if they should be allowed...

Dang, Jerod ... you've made me feel a lot better about my sinuses, bad knee, and today's blizzard ... Thanks, Pal!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Glad I could help the pain near the patella!

Yeah, but how did your hair look.

Comment

Hope today is a better day for you.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Progressively worse. I'm still married.

Hugs? {{{{ }}}} You are a great moderator. I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
              Meathead's inspiration for the Big Bad Beef Rub came from his favorite brisket in the whole wide world at Smoque BBQ. Barry uses 13 ingredients in his rub (including salt) with a sprinkling of black pepper on top the whole deal.

Soooooo, after using BBBR, Memphis Dust, Huskee's Rub, and researching what is available in Barry's rub I now have 13 ingredients to try. I was going to say "play with" instead of "try" but I didn't want any PM's from JCBBQ Nightmares from that video. I'm pretty sure Barry is using a couple things I'm not.

Having a really bad day with the following so I needed to do something:

1. Get a call from the wife at church, needed to head home ASAP. She had all the electricity off, it seems the boys pulled a chord on the ceiling fan and it came hanging DOWN (will add pic from phone) and whipping all over the place. So I castrated the fan from the ceiling and will have to set up some light.

2. Battery dead AGAIN on a vehicle I wanted to sell in JULY but the wife wanted to clean it up some more. It's only freaking January now.

3. Shoulders aching from work, which leads to..

4. Shooting my indoor bow like C-R-A-P. Literally, I shot 5 shots, looked down, big pile of crap on the ground that wasn't there when I started. The crap was just dripping off my shooting. Never seen something like that.

OH yeah, currently fasting from sweets going on 3 weeks, bread going on 2 weeks, and about to add meat for the last week. I feel like eating my hair right now.

So to the rub that will be used on the next brisket. I feel as though roasts really could use some pop on the surface without adding any soda water. Just salt and pepper is for ribeyes, pan fried salmon, and early settlers.

*Trim and dry brine with salt 2-3 days.

Rub- 1/3 cup each white and brown sugar
              1/4 cup Paprika
              1 Tablespoon each onion and garlic powder
              4 teaspoons chili powder
              2 teaspoons each mustard powder, Allspice, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper
              1 teaspoon cumin

**Sprinkle a nice even spread of coarse black pepper over the completed rub

Gonna go heavier on the rub than I normally do.
              So I never see anywhere on here what you thought of your super spice combo for brisket.....what did ya think? I went to Smoque last week and like you I found a few ingredients and found the DDD episode they were on. I went so far to screenshot the part of the show where they had a shot of all the spices so I can try to figure them out by look.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Love it. I just made another 1/2 batch the other day. Got 4, 500mL+ bottles filled with it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here