Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blackened seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackened seasoning

Anybody have a go to blackened seasoning recipe, I am doing 5 lbs of chicken wings for SWMBO
    Last edited by Brewmaster; January 19, 2018, 01:13 PM.

I like Paul P Blackened Redfish Magic

Comment

I second Paul Prudhomme because his recipes are awesome.
      Emerils Original Essence is pretty good stuff and you can find it at most grocery stores and the recipe is online.
      Zatarain's is also good and I use it a lot because it is more affordable than Emeril's essence

Comment

This is the only Blackened I know! Oh wait..........

Comment

I third Prudhomme ......

Click image for larger version

Name:	k paul.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	447628 .....check out that jambalaya

Comment

I feel like a dumb northerner here but, I had no idea he was a real guy. I love all of his seasonings. Particularly the Salmon and Sweetie blends. The Sweetie blend is great for ribs or pork butts.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Love his salmon magic

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            I like his Shrimp Magic even more than his Salmon.

My uncle Johnny (My grandparents adopted Johnny) worked for Chef Paul many years ago. He watched over his home when he was away and took care of things for him. Johnny was a very interesting man and had many great stories.

Comment

I've not done anything using blackening seasoning, but I have been reading about it lately and I can offer some thoughts that seem key based on what I've read:

1) DON'T do it indoors unless you have an industrial strength range hood.
            2) The blackening doesn't come from the spices and heat alone; it also requires the use of butter; maybe lots of it. As I understand it, blackened doesn't equate precisely with burned.
            3) The pan must be screaming hot.
            4) Prudhomme is the original blackening guy, so I'd use his recipe--the whole thing, not just the ingredients

Comment

I’ve tried lots of seasonings for blackened proteins of all sorts. My current favorite is from Hank Shaw’s web site, Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. The spice mix he uses for blackened catfish is awesome and works for lots of "blackened" dishes including fish, oysters, shrimp, poultry and red meat cutlets. It’s not too hot, and salt free so you can salt to your own taste. It’s been my "go to" mix for a couple of years now.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, Hanks the real deal

Try this one for chicken.
              1/2 cup cayanne pepper
              1 cup of whole oregano
              1/2 cup whole thyme
              1/4 cup salt
              1/2 cup Black pepper
              1/2 cup paprika

In a spice mill or blender blend the cayenne pepper, whole oregano, thyme for one minute. Add salt, black pepper, paprika and blend for another mininute.

Comment

I've always been partial to Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Blackened Steak Magic". Then again - I just use it to make blackened steaks in a cast iron skillet when its too cold to go outside to the grill! Be prepared for lots of smoke. Turn on all exhaust fans and open some windows and doors, and get ready to hush the smoke alarm!

I dip the steak in melted butter or olive oil, then coat thickly with the seasoning, and put in a screaming hot CI skillet on the gas cooktop.

I am not sure how you would blacken chicken wings honestly. Sure, you can SEASON them, but you cannot really "blacken" i.e. sear and crust with the blackening season, the way you would a steak or even a flat piece of fish. I guess nice radiant heat on the grill could set the seasoning crust, but not sure that's quite the same result.

Comment

I use this weekly on salmon. You can quaduple.
                  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
                  • 1 tsp cracked black pepper
                  • 2 Tbsp paprika
                  • 2 Tbsp salt
                  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
                  I’m cooking tonight Click image for larger version

Name:	1BDDB3EE-2320-4E3C-AE8F-B96DDB7C7612.jpeg
Views:	449
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	448167

Comment

So I've been researching which burnt foods taste good and which taste bad. It seems that a key ingredient in the original BLACKENED REDFISH was leeks. It is the charring of the onions turning them sweet that makes it work.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Speaking of leeks, making vichyssoise and tomato bisque for Thanksgiving. This year having it out at dad's KenC52 farm. I'm in charge of the soup course. Is a memorial meal for his mom (Great Mamaw) as was her wish instead of a service or funeral.

For those about to try blackening for the first time blackened doesn’t exactly mean burnt. A well cooked blackened ribeye is an experience everyone should have. It doesn’t fave to be spicy hot to be very good. Oh and a Chuds press is a blackening machine with no equal that I can find.

Comment

So here is what I wrote for my next book:

In general, blackening food is not a good idea. Usually it means that it has charred like charcoal, pyrolized, carbonized, and when that happens it has lost all its nutritional value and the flavor is unpleasant, bitter, like an ash tray. Think burnt toast. That’s why I never eat at the Char House. They’re telling me right up front they’re going to burn my food.

But some foods look burnt and they aren’t. The black crust on a beef brisket that makes it look like a meteorite is made of sugars, spices, fats, and juices that are just this side of burnt, but not. Burnt may be bad, but sonofagun, just this side of burnt tastes great. There’s a smokiness, hint of bitterness, complexity, intriguing character.

There may be an exception to the rule. You like your campfire marshmallows black? Some black spots on your crème brulee? Burnt onions? That’s what makes the spice mix in Blackened Redfish as perfected by New Orleans Chef Paul Prudhomme. When they cook onions get sweet and sometimes burnt sugar is a burnt offering.

Comment

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you going to do a section on black and blue steak; Pittsburg style? I do mine over a turkey fryer in the back yard with a cast iron skillet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here