Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blackened seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Booth
    commented on 's reply
    🤔
    Your experience is worlds beyond me. I have no idea why I feel compelled to point you away from commenting about Char House…but I do.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    What it is!

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I think you’re there, as far as being able to describe the process in print. As a cook, there’s really no way around either having someone there to show you, or burning, charring, and blackening things until you get the hang of it.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    How sweet it is!

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I think this is the best version and much improved over prior ones. The distinctions are clear between each. I’d roll with this one.

• Meathead
    replied
    Am I getting closer?
    Black

Let’s talk about black.

Burned. In general, burned is bad. It has pyrolyzed, carbonized, and turned black, and when that happens it becomes dry, has lost some nutritional value and the flavor can be unpleasant, bitter, and taste like an ash tray. Think burnt toast.

Charred. In my world, charring is similar to burning. Char is the root word for charcoal and in chemistry it is what is left when something is pyrolized. i.e. combusted. That’s why I never eat at The Char House. They’re telling me right up front they’re going to burn my steak. But sometimes a little char adds a dimension. There’s the small black “leopard spots” on the underside of a pizza. Slightly charred carrots, green beans, asparagus all are delicious because of their burnt sugars. Ditto for lemons, peaches, pineapple, and other grilled fruits. The line is narrow. It is easy to cross from the slightly charred sugar flavor to carbon. Do you like your campfire marshmallows black or brown?

Blackened. Blackened foods are really dark, just this side of burned with prerhaps just a little charring. Blackening produces a smokiness, a hint of pleasant bitterness, complexity, intriguing character. That’s what makes the spice mix in New Orleans Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Redfish work. It has onion in it and when onions cook they get sweet. I love onions sauteed or grilled until a few turn black. So sometimes a little burnt sugar is a burnt offering. You like black spots on your crème brulee? The black crust on a beef brisket that makes it look like a meteorite? It is made of a spice rub that usually has sugar, mixed with, fats, and juices that are just this side of burnt, but not.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    I don't give a rip...

• FireMan
    replied
    In my honest & servant like Amazin Wibs way, it sounds like “blackened” is a technique with a little bit of substance (seasoning), whereas burnt or charred is what it is. What it is!

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    Another revision in the works. You guys are making me work hard!

Leave a comment:

• wrgilb
    replied
    Creole Seasoning
    • 2 tablespoons onion powder
    • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
    • 2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
    • 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
    • 1 tablespoon black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon white pepper
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon celery seed
    • 5 tablespoons sweet paprika

​

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead I agree the paragraph does not sound angry. However, I am expecting the next paragraph to tell me more about blackened fish though as that would seem a natural follow on.

“ Blackening is a cooking process that is both just this side or burnt, and a little burnt. The rub has onion in it and when it cooks the onions get sweet. So sometimes a little burnt sugar is a burnt offering.”

The best-known example of blackening is for fish. The rub here uses…”

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Don't see any anger. I am trying to expklain the differences between burnt, blackened, charred. And thsat burnt food isn't usually very good.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Yes charred and grilled fruits. Char marks on lemon, pineapple and peaches especially

• Johnny Booth
    replied
    Meathead - with greatest respect, I was surprised by the tone of the 1st paragraph. It seems angry. I can feel you coming around with the note about charred veggies. Blackened and charred food is mostly good, rather than the exception, in my world.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    The more I think of it, "Another exception is charred vegetables. Slightly charred carrots, green beans, asparagus all are delicious because of the sugar."

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here