Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those using Pit Barrel's All-Purpose Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those using Pit Barrel's All-Purpose Rub

It has zero, or next to zero sugar content. Amber said the ingredient deck does not list sugar.

I have always added a light 1:1 mixture of white and brown sugar to my butts after I apply this rub, right before hanging.

I just started doing something, by accident, that I may continue to do. Cook my butts at 270, or whatever. When they hit the stall, crank up the Pit Barrel to about 350. When it starts to drop back down, apply my sugar then. This worked great on two I recently did, and I think they got done in about 6 hours with AWESOME bark. I'd rather wait to apply the sugar if going that high, even if it isn't for that long.

Makes sense. I have thought about doing the same thing. Sometimes I throw on some Magic Sweetie seasoning. That stuff is great on ribs and butts. I didn't do it last time because I chose to wrap them. Next time I'm not gonna wrap and just do this. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yeh, it is great on chicken too. I prefer different flavor profiles so I use this exclusively on butts. Ribs and chicken either get my Modified Memphis Dust or Huskee's Rub. Just to keep things different. Same reason I don't use just salt and black pepper on my birskets when I use that on steak.

Comment

I am using the rub right now on a 3rd rack of ribs on the PBC for giggles. I have one in MMD, one on HRR and I grabbed the PBC AP rub for the third. I dint add sugar, I just wanted to try the straight stuff. I tried the PBC Beef and game rub on a chuck roast on the PBC yesterday. I liked it, but it is a bit salty. Good, but I'll remember to use less next go round.
        Last edited by HC in SC; December 8, 2014, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Oh yeh, Noah loves salt. I use the All-Purpose to dry brine for 24-48 hours. It has that much salt. I prefer the Big Bad Beef Rub over any other beef rub.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a very cheap and mostly necessary additive

Cool, have 5 pounds of it less so I will try it out.

Comment

I still have mine, used it once.

Comment

Actually the AP rub from PBC was pretty good!

Comment

IMO, that PBC AP rub is supremo on turkey and chicken! Like Jerod, I use it for dry brining since it has so much salt in it.

I love the PBC Beef and Game rub on Tri-tip.

I use so much of the PBC AP rub that I bought the 5 lb size from them. Warning: it comes in a plastic bag in the box, so you'll want to store it in a jar of some sort. John used an (empty) Bulleit Bourbon bottle. Soon as my bottle gets empty I'm going to use it too. It should be way more fun shaking AP rub out of a bourbon bottle than the Mason jar I'm currently using!

Actually I pour the rub out of the jar into one of these shakers for use and then pour back what I don't use to keep it fresh.

Fox Run Stainless Steel Shaker with Large Holes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox Run Large Hole Shaker.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	38280
                The shaker comes with a plastic lid to cover the holes in case you want to keep the spices fresh in there.

Kathryn
                Attached Files
                Last edited by fzxdoc; December 8, 2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

My wife and mother in law liked the AP PBC rub equally or better than either the MMD or the HRR, but the HRR was a close 2nd. The MMD was tasty, but really there was a big fail on my part in the execution. I got ribs from Sams instead of Publix and they were 5 times meatier than the Publix ribs I am used to. Some parts of the rack were 2+ inches thick. They took longer to cook (obviously) and being rushed I pulled them at 180 and they were really chewy. Good taste, but not done. Going to put them in a baking dish with some type of sauce and bake them until done for lunch.

Comment

I've tried (and love) all the rubs mentioned, above, but --- and maybe it's just me --- once you slather your favorite sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's---too lazy to make my own) on the meat, does it really matter what rub you started with?? Of course, some family members like their ribs "naked' (No. . . the RIBS . . not themselves!) and I guess, then, the flavor of the rub would make a difference.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                      FLBuckeye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Harry Soo advocates using rubs that complement the sauce and vice versa
                      Makes sense to me

• _John_
                      _John_ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unless it has a really strong flavor, mostly salt or pepper, you won't taste it. I always supply various sauces but don't sauce anything myself, as i've gotten better i've noticed people try it without sauce and just leave it that way. I have some regular folks over and we would use probably 12oz or so on a pork shoulder, but the last brisket and shoulder I did nobody used any at all. Though I will say my daughter always eats my pulled pork with ketchup!

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sauce is like putting a bathrobe on a bikini model. You can still tell a little of what's under there, but it ends up being left mostly to your imagination.

I make a mean sauce that's very flavorful but easy to make, and I rarely end up using it on ribs or chicken. I prefer to taste the meat rub and smoke. I like it on pulled pork sammies though.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here